Discussion: Bush Lawyer Will Switch Parties, Announce Bid For Franken’s Former Seat

Very interesting. He’s been blasting this administration—glad to hear he is joining our party!

24 Likes

Has he had an epiphany, or is he a stealth candidate of the Awful Party?

Seems to me that the Minnesota Democrats might well welcome the convert, but they are unlikely to elect him Cardinal.

15 Likes

And the DNC and DSCC throw their support to Painter in 5…4…3…2…

7 Likes

What’s your position on the ethics of torture, Mr Painter?

8 Likes

Painter appears to both smart and princcipled, but does opposition to Trump automatically makes you a Democrat ? A decent human being, yes, but a Democrat ?

32 Likes

20 Likes

5 Likes

Joe Manchin 2.0–now with more wing-nuttiness!

1 Like

If Painter runs in MN as a Dem, he wins. He’ll have crossover voters by the boatload. And if he flips back to being a 'pub after running and winning as a Dem, he’s dead to me.

I’m still pissed that anyone has to run to take Franken’s seat! (still lookin’ at you, Gillibrand!)

56 Likes

The Bush administration had an ethics lawyer? Who knew?

16 Likes

He is welcome in our party —we are the party of inclusiveness.

17 Likes

No Republicans and non-Democrats in Democratic primaries. That’s a rule I stand by. It’s our party.

21 Likes

No, Painter was a never Trumper who only got more hardcore over time. He led the group that sued PP for violations of the emoluments clause. He genuinely despises Trump and has grown utterly disgusted with Republicans in general. Hell, he started hating his party before the convention.

That said, he’s an old school conservative. Hating Trump and hating Republicans doesn’t make him a Democrat.

49 Likes

I live in MN, and I very well may vote for him. I need to know more. Tina Smith, imo, has not so far proven herself worthy of sitting at Senator Franken’s or the late Paul Wellstone’s desk. I am open to persuasion.

17 Likes

I think folks will need to look at his policy positions on things like health care, the social safety network, and environmental protections vs. “too much regulations!” To see if his positions fall more in line with today’s Democratic party, or Ronald Reagan’s old republican party.

28 Likes

As has been stated there is more to being a Democrat than bashing Trump. We have our quota of corporate lawyers and Republican light Democrats. He is going to divide the DFL (Democratic Farmer Labor Party, our Democratic party) and hand the seat over to a Trump Republican. We need real progressive candidates not more of his kind of bullshit.

9 Likes

Well, welcome, maybe. Can we afford to trust anyone who chose to remain a Republican up to this point?

4 Likes

You welcome him in your state, we don’t want him.

I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.
– Luke 15:7

3 Likes