Discussion: BREAKING: Judge Delays Manafort Trial Until July 31

1 Like

Only six days - phew! When I saw “delayed” I swore very loudly without realizing it was less than a week.

21 Likes

That barely even qualifies as a continuance.

13 Likes

Trump: ANOTHER victory over crooked FBI!!!

9 Likes

Relief!

2 Likes

This may have been the judge doing a little pre-emptive CYA by not giving Manafort’s team a reason to cry foul/appeal.

I gotta say, though, it’s more than a little much when part of the argument for the delay was that Paulie’s team didn’t have all of the documents to review soon enough when they were Manafort’s own documents (or at least documents he would have had independent access to) and also that they didn’t want to pay for copies and were just hoping the feds were going to give them freebies as part of the required discovery disclosures.

That’s some amateur stuff. Any defense attorney (at least in my experience in civil work) is going to pay for whatever copies of stuff you need to get ready well ahead of trial. And I didn’t even represent any multi-millionaire bank fraudsters facing life in jail…

32 Likes

Criminal trials RARELY get delayed on the Rocket Docket. And when they do, it’s because of plea negotiations. So yes, there could still be a trial in a week, but it wouldn’t surprise me if I heard sometime next Monday that Manafort has pled guilty to numerous charges.

29 Likes

Here we go. Wheeee!

6 Likes

While waiting, I would love to see another batch of indictments dropping…

17 Likes

I’m surprised we didn’t hear more about OSC beating the shit out of the Manafort legal team for allowing him to send emails on laptops they brought to prison. I am on record as saying he dies in jail but at this point I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re trying to work out a deal at the 11th hour.

17 Likes

Good. I have plans for this weekend (anniversary!) and would hate the popcorn consumption to derail more elegant activities.

8 Likes

So this delay isn’t actually enough time to review those documents thoroughly, but it addresses the self-imposed disadvantage the defense had (assuming, of course, that they’re telling the truth about not having access to the information in the docs)?

I wonder what kind of trial Ellis is going to run.

4 Likes

Why did he grant any delay? Not like Manafort doesn’t know what he’s accused of and isn’t guilty.

1 Like

Manafort now has an extra week to contemplate his future.

Which probably boils down to what color jumpsuit he’d wear at the various prisons he could be sent to.

3 Likes

Give him just enough rope to hang himself.

2 Likes

Because not doing so can be deemed to be reversible error. A defendant has the right to put together a viable defense, and if they say they can’t, and have some kind of reason that passes the red-face test, then they’re probably going to get it.

8 Likes

Time to play “Let’s Make a Deal”.

6 Likes

By continuing to the jury questionnaire process and telling them he would do the questioning from the bench, the judge basically said: plea or time’s up.

9 Likes

I believe the judge is a) being very smart and b) crossing his t’s and dotting his i’s to prevent any possible overturning his verdict on appeal. What’s the rush, anyhow? The wheels of justice turn slowly, and I think that’s a good thing.

4 Likes

Maybe, but isn’t it interesting that his other trial has also just been delayed until…wait for it…July 31. And that was in a venue where the judge had been pushing back against delays. Coincidence? Or something else is afoot.

4 Likes