Discussion: Boston Train Coasts Through 4 Stations After Leaving Without Driver

Discussion for article #243690

prescient

3 Likes

Knew this had to be the first comment…

2 Likes

he also said investigators are looking into reports from riders that a cord appeared to be wrapped around an accelerator in the operator’s cab…

I am not Familiar with these trains but it sound like he disabled a “Dead Man” control. If an operator should happen to pass out, have a stroke, heart attack, or other wise become disable, the operators hand would come off the control stick and the train would stop via emergency braking.

1 Like

Bob Weir has a theory he’d like to share…

1 Like

And here it is, definitive photographic evidence:

1 Like

“If safety procedures are followed properly, there is no safety problem with operating trains with a single operator”

As a frequent rider of the T, I’m relieved to know that If nothing ever goes wrong there’s no safety problem with operating trains without this safety precaution. And it saves money! So there y’go.

1 Like

Beat me to it!

“If safety procedures are followed properly, there is no safety problem with operating trains with a single operator,” Pollack said."

That’s right, idiot, it also has nothing at all to do with the fact that since the US Department of Transportation deregulated most workplace safety regulations that used to require 2 engine compartment personnel and a conductor on every train, the number of total accidents per revenue mile has more than quadrupled. Fatal Passenger accidents per passenger revenue mile has gone up by a factor of five. Remember, the number one cause of derailments, the largest primary factor in derailments, is the loss of a wheel and/or axle due to a hot brake from a malfunctioning brake. And guess who was in the best position to catch the problem early. Why that would be the conductor at the BACK of the train who could smell a hot brake first and visually confirm it before it because a catastrophe. Likewise, the greater the number of people in the engine’s cab, the less likelihood there is of someone blasting through a speed reduction by mistake.

And I don’t want anyone to whine that the volume of rail traffic has gone up by X amount in that time. Using a per revenue mile standard eliminates the variable of the amount of traffic during whatever reporting period you choose.