Just wait till the Idiot-in-Chief hears of this, his knickers will be in a real twist!
Great story!
Not to take anything away from what these women accomplished on Tuesday but I just can’t understand elections for judges. I’ve stated before that here in MO the Governor gets a list on nominees to appoint. They serve for 2 years and then are up for retain or not to retain. After that then they’re on a cycle and we go through this again.
I hope that this link works. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch with the League of Women Voters publishes a voter’s guide. In the section for judges the list the name, position, age, education, judicial experience and the MO Bar Committee rating. It provides a link to website that you can see their decisions and opinions.
http://lwv.thevoterguide.org/v/stlouispd18/index.do?i=10
http://lwv.thevoterguide.org/v/stlouispd18/index.do?i=10
Most of the judges this cycle were rated 95-100. There was one that was rated 65 and they were voted not to retain.
The next time someone says “voting doesn’t matter,” or " I never pay attention to the down ballot races", they should have to look at this picture. It says it all.
BTW, Glen Delvin, who lost his seat as a Juvenile Court Judge, got real fucking petty the day AFTER the election. He released almost every kid he saw that day, regardless of why they were being held. He was also one of two Harris County judges that, in 2017, sent 20% of the state’s juveniles into correction facilities. I guess he doesn’t care to do his job until his term is up…
Anyway, this is an exciting example of Tuesday’s Blue Wave. Yes, I know Sarah Huckabee Sanders said there was no wave, but, as usual, she lied.
*edited to fix misspelling.
If Fox news doesn’t cover it our dear leader will never know that it happened.
This is true. We don’t have to be concerned that good news for us will reach him and at the same most bad news for him won’t reach him either. Remember the sick little kid who lived in a bubble and died at age 12? Welcome to the the sick man who lives in a bubble.
Even better news for Texas:
Texas Democrats cleaned up on Election Day, flipping the four influential state appeals courts that serve Austin, Houston and Dallas. Democrats now hold majorities on seven of the state’s 14 appeals courts. Before Tuesday, they held seats on just three.
I was just going to post a story about that myself = - glad you did. Thanks. We had a great Tuesday, Beto notwithstanding.
Good on Houston! As much as I hated living there because of the weather and geography, I loved the people. One of the local black women judges I worked with back then is now in Congress. I hope this class goes far, too!
You go, you wise, wonderful women!
Yes TEXAS, YOU CAN!!!
Beautiful picture too!
Thanks too each and everyone of you, for your service!!!
Please get the Headline correct. It is 19 Black Women. One can even count them in the photo.
Trump is going to lose it
Do you have access to Twitter? The reporting itself also cites 17.
I hope they’ll jump and the “no cash bail” bandwagon. Too many people are punished for being poor rather than for committing a crime. And unsurprisingly, most of those who languish behind bars without being convicted of anything are POC.
17 are Harris County Judges, two are State judges.
As a rule, I refrain from commenting on the appearance of politicians and civil servants.
But this is easily the hottest judiciary I’ve ever seen. I gotta go break some laws in TX.
While Beto did not win, his down ballot coattails were long, indeed.
Please read the article. Two of them were already on the court (they tried running for appeals court seats but lost, so they’ll stay where they are).