Discussion: Biden Refuses To Apologize After Sharing Anecdote Aides Told Him To Change

I like Warren as well. I have donated to her and I think I will vote for her. I think she could earn the nomination and inspire people in just the way that Barack Obama did. She has a compelling personal story that will surprise voters in the general if she wins the nomination. But I am still considering other candidates and I will support whoever wins the nomination.

2 Likes

So heā€™s trying to be the Democratic Trump. Please God, make him leave the stage.

2 Likes

You do realize that one party does NOT work with the other side and never campaigns on doing so? You like unilateral disarming? I donā€™t.

1 Like

this is a perfect example of why this divisiveness is the fault of the supporters of Biden specificially, and white privilege in general.

Booker did NOT paint Biden as a racist. He pointed out that the words Biden used were inappropriate and hurtful, and said Biden should apologize because Booker knew that Biden was better than that.

White men like Biden demand the privilege of being judged on what they CLAIM their intentions are, and not on what they say and do. And when you call them out for their actions, white men like Biden think that THEY are the ones who should take offense.

I mean, how dare a black people like Booker and Harris point out that Joe Biden said something ā€œracially insensitiveā€? Donā€™t they know their place?

6 Likes

ā€œHe knows better. I know Joe Biden. Heā€™s better than this.ā€

NARRATOR : But he wasnā€™t actually better. This is who Joe Biden is.

Whatā€™s up with Joe Biden acting the way he does towards black people? This week alone, there is this incident and him getting in Joy Reidā€™s face. Heā€™s got some issues.

2 Likes

Folks have forgotten how to legislate ā€“ Jim Crow Senators and Reps didnā€™t dominate Congress for a century cuz they didnā€™t know how to get things done.

The same techniques apply now; weā€™re just not using 'em right.

When Chris Dodd was a freshman Senator, he happened to hear Jesse Helms on the floor ranting about Communists in Central America. So Dodd went to the floor to engage Helms in a colloquy, intending to ask him how giving guns to guys who rape and murder nuns helped our national security.

Helms went there ā€“ he told Dodd that his father would never have fallen for that pinko bullshit. He might as well have slapped CJD with a wet rag. They very nearly socked each other. It was personal and it was ugly.

Rather than punching out his elderly colleague, Dodd stalked off the floor, angry as hell. Then he grabbed an aide ā€“ and showed How to Legislate: He said, 'find me something Jesse has introduced, that I can cosponsor. I donā€™t care what it is, as long as it doesnā€™t screw Connecticut. But I want to go to him tomorrow and say ā€“ we wonā€™t agree on everything, But I am a young Senator and there is much I can learn from you. So on this (whatever the hell it was - shoe imports, I think) I will stand with you, shoulder to shoulder. We can work together!ā€™

Thatā€™s how itā€™s done. This is a big country, with lots of contradictions and conflicts in our 330 million people reflected in our self-governing republic.

The New Deal wouldnā€™t have happened without Jim Crow legislators. Neither would Glass-Steagall ā€“ both 'em were white supremacists.

3 Likes

The modern GOP is a plutocracy. ā€œWe have the best Congress money can buy.ā€ You can trust them if you can pay them. Theyā€™re not evil in the sense that they want to end civilization theyā€™re just crooks. See you really can pay them off. You pay them off by pandering to their needs. Sometimes you can make a deal. We have to get over this feeling that theyā€™re really evil. There just avarice.

The long-term solution is to get money out of politics. Join makeitfair.us. Until we get rid of Citizens United do away with campaign contributions we have to work with the enemy.

1 Like

People who disagree with you are not trolls nor are they trolling when they express a dislike for a specific candidate and that applies to both Biden or Sanders.

Keep it civil and refrain from the ad hominems.

8 Likes

About 3 or four years ago, I compared a clique of TPM posters to the children in ā€œVillage of the Damnedā€.

1 Like

I really think Biden is trying to win over white racists who are tired of trump. Dude wonā€™t stop talking about his segregationist and white supremacist buddies. After what he said to Booker yesterdayā€¦ god heā€™s an arrogant prick sometimes.

For context on the guy Biden praised:

What Biden said:

Bookerā€™s statement in response:

Bidenā€™s response to Booker:

Hint: ā€œI donā€™t have a racist bone in my bodyā€ is a reliable tell that you simply donā€™t get it and are comfortable in your privilege, like ā€œI donā€™t see colorā€ or ā€œI have black friends!ā€

6 Likes

In the last month or two, Nadar was polling no more than 5%. He was the candidate of the Green Party, whoā€™s platform was based on environmental protection. When it was clear he was going to lose, he should have asked which of the other candidates (Bush or Gore) would better represent the ideals of this party (pretty clearly Gore) and encouraged his voters to vote for that candidate. Instead, his ego got in the way and even though his 5% would have been enough to make the hanging cards irrelevant, he insisted on staying in. We got Bush who was Sooo much better for the environment than Gore would have been. Oh, and we got the Iraq war.

4 Likes

Hereā€™s my thinking. Booker (and Harris) can not win Black voters without showing that they can win it all. Obama did not win Black support until he showed that he could beat Hillary. Hillary won Black support because she was the clear frontrunner and showed that she could win the nomination.

Booker has not shown he is a serious candidate in this race any more than Jesse Jackson did with his Rainbow Coalition. He is wallowing below 10% consistently and he has no new ideas. He needs to generate buzz to boost himself from the bottom of the pack. Booker is hoping identity politics (Black man insulted by obvious racist old white man) will get him both publicity and sympathetic white voters in numbers large enough to elevate him to the tier of serious candidates. He needs white voters to move first because if he does not show that he can win white voters Black voters will know he can not win the general. (And Booker is splitting the movement on this issue with Harris anyway so he needs a lot of white sympathy.)

Blacks who vote in primaries are knowledgeable and strategic in giving their support (someone posted an article about this yesterday). Large numbers of Black voters will not support a clearly weak candidate. So Booker is not getting the Black vote merely because he is Black; he is going to have to earn it. His attack on Biden is a desperation move because Booker has nothing else at the moment.

1 Like

Hows the view from up there on your Cross?

Thatā€™s right. Itā€™s far more vile to say I understand virulent racists than to say I understand the southern culture, as latter includes far moreā€¦cuisine, language, attire. Same with understanding those who find kneeling objectionableā€¦their views include patriotism for the country.

Biden, knows full well calling a grown black man son is same as ā€œgraciouslyā€ calling him boy. the only man that calls a 50plus year old man son is his father. Otherwise it is a diminutiveā€¦as parent to child. It infers ā€œfather knows bestā€ like a pat on head as if you not old enough to know what you are sayinā€¦straight up southern meaning of boyā€¦and grown black men in the south were called boy til day they died instead of MRā€¦ Booker, rightly, took exception to an adult white male referring to him as a child.

Iā€™ve said before Biden is not going to be the nomineeā€¦he does & says too many things that were acceptable white culture in the SIXTIES. The sixties were turbulent for just that reason. Biden refuses to progress from behaviors & language of that era. While Biden may think his record on race & gender are acceptable, they no longer areā€¦& especially arenā€™t to women & blacks.

The pivotal primary is in SC. Every black male voter there heard Bidenā€™s use of son to Booker. They heard loud & clear he was making Booker his inferior & the votes are going to show that. Biden may have dodged all this with Hill because she is GOP and Dems wanted a steady statesman like Biden. He will not survive insulting the manhood of black malesā€¦remember what the protest signs said in 60ā€™sā€¦I AM A MANā€¦that is the well of racist disrespect Biden stepped in. Itā€™s called dignity & respect for black MANhoodā€¦we are not your boy & not your son!..Anita Hill was bearableā€¦

Having called Bookerā€¦sonā€¦ has changed all that. It will not be his reaching across aisle with virulent segregationistsā€¦but his calling an adult black male inferior by using ā€œsonā€ in 2019 that is his last hooray.v

ETA: I mistakenly said that Biden called Booker ā€œsonā€. That is incorrect, and I apologize for the ā€¦Errorā€¦what he actually said was worse

1 Like

Here at TPM, bias, emotions and personal beliefs often trump facts and logic. One cannot argue with thatā€¦ so I wonā€™t.
Have to do some exercises to relieve my pinched nerve pain in shoulder and arm. Will also take a few hours off or maybe the rest of the day. Have a good one!

That was then, this is now when Republicans have abandoned compromise and openly support racist policies that are inhumane and antithetical to the American ethos. Biden seems to think the path to victory is to harken back to a time long ago when you could still negotiate in good faith with Republicans - did he learn nothing during his time as Vice-President under President Obama who spent his first six years negotiating with the ghost of Republican bi-partisanship? A Biden Presidency will not change the hyper-partisan nature of today, only a progressive electoral revolution intent on reestablishing the rule of law and campaign finance reform will do that.

4 Likes

Not.
Gonna.
Happen.

That kind of Bernie talk wonā€™t fly with the majority of the Democratic party or with the majority of voters.

2 Likes

Exactly! Folks heard when he described a HAhhVard Law Grad ā€œarticulateā€ and understoodā€¦articulate for a black person. We all heard it.

Now, heā€™s gone & called Booker sonā€¦blacks & especially black men heard BOY.

Heā€™s toastā€¦SC primary will be his death knellā€¦how fitting & ironic as he delivered Strum Thurmondā€™s eulogyā€¦ol Strum will be proud & say ā€œheā€™s a son of the South ā€œ

Bye. Joeā€¦btw, Barack hasnā€™t forgot you called him ā€œarticulateā€ either.

ETA: I mistakenly said that Biden called Booker ā€œsonā€. That is incorrect, and I apologize for the ā€¦Errorā€¦what he said was actually worseā€¦ā€they didnā€™t call me boy, they called me a sonā€

2 Likes

shorter sniffit

Instead of acknowledging that Dems are a big tent that demands respect for everyone, I buy into the racist homophobic misogynistic Republican framing of ā€œidentity politicsā€.

But Iā€™m not a right wing troll. Just because I sound like I just walked off the FoxNews soundstage, doesnā€™t mean I am one.

1 Like

Exactly!

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available