Discussion: Bernie Sanders Decries Scott Walker's 'Extremism' On Workers' Rights

Discussion for article #238100

No chance of being nominated, or of winning the general, but we can at least hope that he can persuade the eventual Democratic nominee that trying to appease the right-wingers is a pointless exercise. They’re not going to vote for the Democrat, anyway, so there’s no sense tossing them the occasional bit of meat.

Diminishing the influence of the corporatists, on the other hand, is a considerably tougher nut to crack.

2 Likes

I like Bernie, I really do, maybe more than Hillary. But I was remarking to Mrs Von Holst last night, that every time I see a crowd shot at a Bernie function, it looks as white as a sheet. Someone tell me I’m mistaken, Maybe it’s the “lies of the camera”. Maybe It’s too small a sample; I don’t observe every Berniepalooza, but so far, I don’t see a lot of diversity here.

1 Like

Sanders, a 73-year-old self-described democratic socialist…

Is it there any other kind of Democrat?

I would hope not, but one has to take the bad with the good.

4 Likes

It’s good to remember that Bernie and Hillary are on the same page on about 80% of the major issues.

I love the energy and the populism and the truth-telling that Bernie brings to the campaign.
It will only help the Democratic nominee (Hillary, unless something strange happens) win by a bigger margin.

3 Likes

I absolutely love Bernie bringing the fight to Walker. And nailing what it’s about here in Wisconsin - namely Walker’s extremism. As the world starts to pay attention to Who’s Who in the big race, it’s so important that it quickly becomes understood that Walker is first, last, and always an extremist. Bernie is so right.

2 Likes

No chance to be nominated? What - you are a fortune teller? A time traveler? Bernie Sanders is going to be nominated and be elected President. Climate Change (Chaos) is bearing down on us like a hammer on a nail. Methane feedback loops are ready to explode. We are in deep trouble. 2015 will be the hottest year ever recorded. Alarm bell are going off everywhere. Inequality is killing our economy and Hillary is part of the .01% (along with Bill). Wall Street does not pay her $500,000 for an hour speech unless they want to use her. Scott Walker is another Klown on the Klown Kar driving over the cliff. Bernie Sanders 2016.

1 Like

Have you ever been to a rally of any kind? I have. Environmental rallies have few people of color attending. Political rallies have few minorities unless the politician belongs to that group. Minorities tend to show up at rallies that effect them. Bernie Sanders talks to minorities and he talks their language. $15 minimum wage is a minority issue. Free higher education is a minority issue.

1 Like

Agreed. As someone who actually attended the rally yesterday, attendance was shocking to me. On July 1st, 16 months before the actual election, he managed to fill a venue with 10K seats. (And the attendees weren’t payed $50 a head to be there.) People drove from neighboring states - Illinois, Michigan, Iowa - just to hear him speak. And I know this because I worked the parking lot registering attendees as they flooded into the venue.

People on this thread are way too dismissive of his candidacy. I seem to recall an African-American who was dismissed as a presidential candidate this far out before an election.

4 Likes

Bernie Sanders is going to send Hillary to her most embarrassing second defeat and out of politics for good. Her speaking fees on Wall Street will also collapse. Wait for the gorilla in the room - Climate Chaos. The hammer is coming down on the nail head - our heads. Climate Change is about to wake up a lot of people very soon now. It’s survival time now. Reality (science) cannot be ignored.
Three things cannot be hidden - The Sun, The Moon, The Truth.

Even though I was a state employee, I support doing away with public employee unions. There’s an inherent conflict of interest in allowing public employees to bargain with people who are spending the taxpayers’ money. If something is too expensive, you can do without it, do it yourself, find someplace or something cheaper, or buy it second-hand. A taxpayer doesn’t have that option when it comes to license plates or public services.

What marks Walker as a sleaze is that he exempted police and firemens’ unions. If any unions are beyond corrupt and in need of being shut down, it’s police unions.

I absolutely agree. People don’t know what to make of a politician (Bernie) who tries to speak the Truth about reality to common Americans. The Truth is something politicians hide - never to be spoken about and certainly never to be taken seriously. DC politicians and the Main Stream Media have no clue how desperate and angry people are out here in reality. This is going to be fun to participate in.

Don’t hold your breath, Cupcake.

I love Bernie, but he can’t win a national election.

Stupid right-wing bullshit.

2 Likes

Of course not. But I know full well, as do you, that anyone with “socialist” attached to his name in any way, shape, or form, is unacceptable to a sufficient proportion of the voting public in this country today to prevent his nomination. This isn’t Europe.

Got a little personality cult going do we?

Whether Bernie is the nominee or not he will certain determine what the issues are for the upcoming election and will help Democrats get out the vote and win. He is bringing attention to issues that many people feel very strongly about.