Discussion: Barr Makes 'Unprecedented' Promises To Take On FBI 'Spying' Himself

1 Like

OK… So Barr lies when testifying in the Senate, refuses to testify in the House, and NOW he is going to investigate the ‘spying’ done by Democrats on tRump.

ARGHHH… enough already, something has to be done to stop Barr from continually grandstanding to protect tRump.

23 Likes
72 Likes

Barr: No one can be a better lapdog and attack dog to Trump than me.

9 Likes

Speaking of mislabeled “spying”: if the Russians “hacked” Trump’s campaign phones, they sure would know a lot about what help the campaign wanted or needed.

And if the “hacking” was enabled by campaigner behavior, well that might properly be construed as cooperation, but would be fiercely defended as an accident. Nifty.

13 Likes

I think I woke up in an episode of the Twilight Zone
You see behavior like this and you think …that’s interesting , but too far fetched ,. No one would ever believe that would happen in the United States.
You begin to understand armed insurrection when you feel powerless .
We have a political party that has thrown the rule of law by the wayside. Are there no patriots among those professed flag huggers?

37 Likes

From a Vanity Fair:
EXECUTIVES ARE VERY WORRIED FOX & FRIENDS WILL BE NEXT”: AFTER TAKING OVER FOX, LACHLAN MURDOCH IS IN A TRUMP TRAP

Excerpt:

“> Inside Fox, staffers speculated Pirro would be fired, two sources told me, but Trump pre-empted such a move by calling Rupert Murdoch to complain about her suspension.

Fox agreed to allow Pirro to come back on the air but cut her opening monologue, a venue for her most incendiary rhetoric. When Trump found out about that, he called Rupert again, a source said.

A compromise was proposed: Pirro could return and deliver a shortened version of her opening statement. “Trump called Rupert, and Rupert put pressure on the executives,” a source briefed on the conversations told me. (The White House did not respond to a request for comment. A spokesperson for Fox News said the network’s management never discussed canceling Pirro’s show.)“

Hmmm…Maybe Bezos will buy it:

“> Some believe it’s inevitable that the Murdochs will sell Fox News. “Everyone thinks they’re going to sell it. It’s too small to be independent,” the anchor told me.”

20 Likes

and risked creating the impression that he is not an independent law enforcement officer but a purely political figure.

Impression? Anyone who still thinks Barr is anything but a political hack is deluded.

60 Likes

Let’s see…an AG who has made it clear that he will selectively release information so that he can protect a lawless official, and who is willing to choose his words carefully (or, as we call it when Democrats do it, “lie”) so as to obscure the actual truth as much as possible wants to personally investigate whether or not career public servants acted in a way that he can characterize as corrupt. Why would anyone have any problems with that?
One group that would have no problem with that: the same group that went ballistic and has raised money for years on Bill Clinton’s parsing of the word “is.” (Not defending Clinton, just pointing this out.)

34 Likes

The hedging in that statement was unwarranted. Anyone thinking Barr is independent or giving him the benefit of the doubt is deluded. It may be time to make the DOJ an independent agency like the Fed or the CFPB.

17 Likes

“Scary” is hereby nominated as understatement of the year. The decade. Hell, the century.

8 Likes

Was there ever any doubt about this? Anyone? Bueller? Ms Collins?

21 Likes

Beat me to it. I gagged when I read this at the top of the article.

6 Likes

Oh noes! Breaking traditions?!?! These guys wouldn’t go that far, would they?

2 Likes

We’ve come to see the President’s control over the AG and DOJ as a deeply serious conflict of interest and possibly a fatal flaw in our form of democracy. What Nixon did showed us the awful possibilities. Not certain this time around there is a possible course correction in that the Senate and possibly the SCOTUS as well are not providing the check or the balance.

14 Likes

ITMFA

And then bring him up on criminal charges (although, to be honest, not yet sure what charges those would be).

1 Like

Can we just put this whole thing on a fast track and consolidate Trump, Barr, Mnuchin - the lot of them - into one big impeachment proceeding?

10 Likes

I think David Frum nailed this one when he argued that when determined conservative parties realized that they could not achieve their goals through the democratic process they wouldn’t give up on conservatism, but rather on democracy. GOP pols no longer care if a foreign power influences American elections, or if the Executive branch becomes increasingly powerful or even authoritarian, as long as they control the government.

44 Likes

“… risked creating the impression that he is not an independent law enforcement officer but a purely political figure.”

Yeah, I think that cat’s out of the bag, guys. To those paying attention there was never any other “impression” – this guy has been a shameless hack for decades.

Plausible deniability will kill us all.

19 Likes

Flag hugging was only a means to this end. Much like support for that hippy carpenter from Nazareth.

8 Likes