Discussion: Barr Defends Trump Obstruction With A Rationale That Mueller Already Blew Up

1 Like

This guy is digging a hole so deep he’s going to be in China soon

13 Likes

and this is the friendly group.

10 Likes

This is the Roy Cohn strategy:
Defer
Delay
Lie
Repeat the lie
Double down
(repeat)

8 Likes

Kudos to Alex Wong for that great photo.

5 Likes

Bringing new depths to the concept of unmitigated lying since 1990.

8 Likes

Lemme see … Permissible investigations or prosecutions of matters Trump are limited to those which he condones, conducted by his supporters. Certainly an efficient system of jurisprudence and governance.

11 Likes

I don’t think that will be good for the trade negotiations, having him turn up. However, China is overdue to import lots of pork from the US!

5 Likes

Gee, so many hypotheses of Trump’s motives!

3 Likes

Jane Fonda, Jack Lemmon and Michael Douglas would understand the feeling…My dialogue regarding Barr would follow that of the Nuclear Power Plant boss in trying to diss Jack Lemmon:

“What can I TELL ya…He was DISTURBED…going around taking a 400-page report and inventing DIFFERENT conclusions!! DISTURBED, I tell ya…and y’know, Barr was disturbed. A man would have to be disturbed to take a report and, instead of handing it to Congress (like he should have) and then keep it, redact it and then lie about it. Lie about it every day!!! The man is DISTURBED.”

1 Like

Barr the lapdog: Anything Trump does is plausible. I’ll give him the greatest benefit of the doubt. In Trump I trust.

“Barr was asked specifically about Trump’s demand that his White House counsel Don McGahn publicly deny a report that Trump had previously ordered that McGahn fire the special counsel.”

You know, the first part of that is bad enough:

“Trump’s demand that his White House counsel Don McGahn publicly deny a report…”

But maybe somebody could focus for a minute on that second part:

“Trump had previously ordered that McGahn fire the special counsel.”

Seems kinda like the 800-pound gorilla in that sentence, you know?

17 Likes

Barr is acting as an advocate, not making impartial judgments about the facts. Advocates characterize facts in a light most favorable for their side of the case. The problem here is that Barr is mischaracterizing the facts we can all read in Mueller’s report, which means he’s lost all credibility. Which means he’s a lousy advocate.

13 Likes

Is that Barr really Rudy Giuliani with really ugly makeup and a fat suit?

6 Likes

This type of special pleading to give the best possible interpretation of the president’s transparently corrupt motives is disgusting. When do ordinary citizens get such a credulous prosecutor? Anyone else, especially if they had an unacceptable amount of pigmentation, would be indicted and forced to make their own case for the innocence of their motives in front of a jury. I remember being on a jury where the defendant tried to make the case that he was unaware of the meth he was carrying because it was in a package given him from a friend. This was while he was nervously trying to brush off the ants that were crawling over his skin. We didn’t find that defense credible even though it might be technically possible and we convicted him. I still find his story more believable than this defense of Trump (who should have his lawyers make his defense, not the AG).

9 Likes

3 Likes

I’m sorry. I can’t look at Barr and not see the comparison. He IS Pepe’ the alt-right mascot.

9 Likes

Watching the Democrats on the committee question Barr about Mueller’s report is like watching them ask him about a steaming,stinking pile of feces on the table in front of him, and him insisting he neither sees nor smells anything. Barr clearly doesn’t give a shit about facts, crime, justice, or democracy. He’s where he is to protect Trump. Full stop.

9 Likes

Boiggy King’s got a new ad on the radio promoting the ’ Impossible Whopper ’ …

Looks like society’s finally gone round the bend —

1 Like

The other problem is that Barr is the effing attorney general of the United States, and took an oath to defend the constitution. He is explicitly not trump’s personal lawyer or white house counsel or the solicitor general. He is making a disgrace of his office.

8 Likes