Discussion: Bannon’s Booting From NSC May Not Mean Much After All

1 Like

Bannon retains a top-level national security clearance, the ability to sit in on most NSC meetings, and a West Wing office steps away from the Oval Office door.

So basically, your classic shell game. To be expected…

16 Likes

After last night, I doubt many people here will be cheering about much of anything for quite some time.

5 Likes

The war in Syria, the firing of Bannon from the National Security Council Executive committee, the illegitimate appointment of Neil Gorsuch and the firing of Devin Nunes all point toward the ominous and pervasive influence of Putin and Russian intelligence at the highest levels of American government. Several top Russian diplomats familiar with Donald Trump. Ivank Trump and Jared’s illegal Russian activities including the Russian ambassador to the UN have been found dead under suspicious conditions. Preshitident Donald and First Lady (Washington DC) Ivank Trump notified Russian intelligence before the attack. The attack was timed right before Putin brown-noser Rex Tillorsen’s visit next week.

Is this all an elaborate geopolitical stagecraft to prop the imbecile, unhinged sexual predator and Manchurian candidate?

8 Likes

Have you noticed that TPM starts most mornings with stories reminding you that things really suck?

26 Likes

Thank you for this reminder that no matter what the press releases say, we cannot trust this “Administration” to do anything in a normal or expected way. We have in office a man who does whatever the current voices in his head tell him to do, with very little respect for precedent or decency. I see this missile strike as a) a gut reaction to the apparent use of chemical weapons in Syria and b) an attempt to distract from the investigations and a transparent effort to raise the president’s* terrible approval ratings. I am not taken in by any of this, keep your eye on the ball and watch what he does, not what he says.

18 Likes

The pivot-people are co-dependents, pure & simple,imagining that every half-way human twitch of the abuser is a sign of improvement sufficient to justify continuing with the status quo.

12 Likes

Dick Cheney’s fake war has lead us to where we are today; destabilize a region of such importance and guess what happens. And with a crap-shoot, dangerously unstable, con-man as president (Saddam Hussein had more discipline) lord knows what is going to happen.

Dream on that Donnie somehow magically transforms and turns into a stable and secure leader, a man with patience, wisdom and virtue.

5 Likes

That’s depressing.

Excellent post. I couldn’t add anything to your take on this except to raise the possibility(an additional motivation) of panic on Donald’s part that if he hadn’t acted he would(shudder) LOOK BAD. In that sense he might inadvertently be doing his job. By this I mean that although as a commander Mattis had a strong reputation for valuing the lives of his troops, my GUESS is that he would feel this is the right course to take. We are all stuck depending on the Adults in the WH here. Maybe Trump feels Bungling Bannon should be ignored, if so hurray. If gutting State meant forcing the missile strike, that’s bad. Etc.

But you are stone dead right that the thing is to watch what people say and do in this situation. Lots of folks. We’re in for a long slog.

3 Likes

Excellent post. I couldn’t add anything to your take on this except to raise the possibility(an additional motivation) of panic on Donald’s part that if he hadn’t acted he would(shudder) LOOK BAD. In that sense he might inadvertently be doing his job. By this I mean that although as a commander Mattis had a strong reputation for valuing the lives of his troops, my GUESS is that he would feel this is the right course to take. We are all stuck depending on the Adults in the WH here. Maybe Trump feels Bungling Bannon should be ignored, if so hurray. If gutting State meant forcing the missile strike, that’s bad. Etc.

But you are stone dead right that the thing is to watch what people say and do in this situation. Lots of folks. We’re in for a long slog.

1 Like

the only solace is that it looks like it’s making Bannon and Kushner fight each other even harder what with Bannon reportedly calling Kushner a cuck and anti-Kushner articles springing up on Breitbart. I say let them destroy each other. They don’t deserve any better

4 Likes

Even as the Occupant’s approval ratings declined, I pooh-poohed the opinion I heard from some quarters that “now he’s going to have to start a war.” But sure enough. After listening to the golly-gosh-wow coverage last night from such generally sane quarters as the Rachel Maddow show, I’m amazed at how easily the punditry falls in line. Personally, I think the missile strike was cynical and manipulative on Trump’s part. When did he ever care about babies or other victims or war and destruction before?

6 Likes

Twitter’s going crazy over the fact that Kushner omitted meetings with Russians on his security clearances form, and someone (Bannon?) leaked it to the NYT.

4 Likes

Many questions on this event: (somehow I put this post in the wrong article - should be article about bombing do airfield)

Will this be Trump’s 9/11? By that I mean a stumbling idiotic admin draws support from the masses as we are “at war” with evil (when in fact the evil is in the White House).

Did Russia tell Syrians of the pending attack after they were given advance warning?

What will the Syrian ( and N Korean) response be to this event?

Will public reaction embolden Trump to pull the same stunt in N Korea?

1 Like

I have struggled with why Assad, at this point in the civil war, would use chemical weapons on the resistance. On the surface, it seems that the benefit would be no where worth the risk as he is already winning. Thus I have come to the following conclusion based on what little I know from tweets and web sites.

Assad didn’t order the CW strike, this was a Russian/Putin directed attack that either Assad was complicit in or didn’t have prior knowledge of. The purpose of this strike was to enrage the world and force the US counter attack exactly as it played out or be used to further weaken the US in the eyes of the world if we did nothing. Trump was either complicit in this plan or is a predictable enough fool that Putin could count on a US warning of the attack so that actual damage to Russian interests could be minimized. (NB: I am not using “complicit” in the Ivanka sense.)

So why did Russia do this and what is the plan going forward? I expect a lot of Russian saber rattling and threats to end “cooperation” in the war on ISIS in Syria and more broadly followed by a “diplomatic” agreement to return to the prior levels of cooperation upon removal of economic sanctions on Russia. The agreement might even include the destruction of the no longer needed chemical weapons stored in Syria.

Trump gets to strut his tough guy war cred, claim that the attack shows that he is independent of Russia and that the “agreement” supports his claimed benefit of his new less aggressive approach to Russia. Putin gets the benefit of elimination of sanctions in a more or less plausible manner plus the added benefits of higher oil prices and increased sale of planes etc. to replace those damaged in the attack. A win-win all the way around if you don’t count the American or Syrian people.

8 Likes

Well he did close our borders to Syrian refugees so that they don’t have to live in an Islamophobic nation.

6 Likes

When I close my eyes and think of Trump how come images of Kaiser Wilhelm II come into focus. Wilhelm like Trump was extraordinarily self confident, completely without compassion or understanding of his own or other people, and perfectly willing to stumble headlong into horrible mistakes while temperamentally unable to back out or back down.

3 Likes

Yes, that was a fine example of his compassion. :frowning:

2 Likes