Discussion: Backlash In U.S. Against Foreign Worker Visas Growing

Discussion for article #224712

About time. We have had the current version of the H-1B program since 1992. In that time, we are told over and over that H-1bs create jobs. The problem is that the jobs are filled by more H-1bs, L-1s, F-1, B-1, etc. J-1 - 500,000 are here this summer, and American kids cannot get jobs. We need to END the visa programs, which provide NOTHING but cheap labor for huge corporations.

10 Likes

I know enough very talented and unemployed tech workers to know that the “shortage” has always been a lie. College grads are getting the same treatment manufacturing workers got – work for a lot less or you will be replaced with an immigrant.

Eventually these jobs will be exported, too. That H1B worker who returns to his country after 6 years on the leading edge in a US based company brings his skills home with him when he goes, he may even go to work for a foreign subsidiary of a US company in China or India.

This is a battle US workers cannot win. “Free trade” means every American worker must compete directly with third world workers making a lot less, but the American worker can’t work for the same pay and still buy food, medical care, housing, education, and every other necessity and service at US prices.

9 Likes

How will the Republicans respond to this?

Will they support their corporate persons/friends who love cheap labor and depend on it for the profits that they can then plow back into Republican election coffers?

Are will they support the American labor force?

Oh, wait a minute. This part of the American labor force is college educated. That means brainwashed by the liberal forces dominating campus life. And probably not into corporate personhood. Easy call. Screw em.

6 Likes

If a company has to cheat a bit or if there are loopholes or not very aggressive oversight (which would be really expensive) companies will take advantage of any cost savings they can find. Their only object is to maximize profit. They are not American worker employment programs.That’s how it works.

3 Likes

I’ve been in the IT business for 30 years. 80% of my co-workers are from India on H1B visas. It’s a f*^king joke.

4 Likes

I’d really like to know what German companies do that American companies do not. I think it starts from German companies proudly identifying as German and looking out for fellow German workers, while American companies think of themselves as multinationals with no loyalties whatsoever. Do German companies take a longer view, settling for lower profits now rather than train their future competition? Do they retrain their workers rather than use them up, throw them away, and hire somebody more exploitable?

1 Like

Repugs or Dems are no different as far as I can tell on this topic.

For starters German companies respect their workers. US companies treat workers like dirt.

7 Likes

You are dreaming if you think any of the H1B workers ever leave the US. IT NEVER HAPPENS. They get on a short path to a green card and they are here forever.

The difference is that Republicans have already sold their soul to the profit takers, while the Democrats are still up for grabs. If you don’t support Democrats, where do you think they will turn?

We’ve also got to make it clear that if Democrats sell out, no amount of “political contributions” will get them re-elected. We need more contested Democratic primaries so Congressmen like Steny Hoyer don’t get a free pass.

I work in biotech and the same problem exists there. It’s all about driving down the costs of labor.

3 Likes

These visa procurement job shops rape the foreign workers by taking huge margins while screwing US citizens – not just those displaced but the taxpayer at large.

2 Likes

Companies in many countries try to optimize a social good as well as profits. They remember that workers in the country pay taxes, keep the country growing, and employ their own children. In our case, our own children pay huge money for undergrad school (India and China pay almost nothing), and cannot afford to go to grad school. Plus all the TAs are nonunderstandable unless you know 12 different thick chinese accents. In this country, we must adopt a position to HIRE US FIRST. Remember, the H-1B does NOT require that a US shortage exist.

2 Likes

Problem there is that the D and R sides both have traitors. The D side has immigration lawyers, weasels like Zoe Lofgren who make millions by depriving US workers of jobs. On the R side, they have the corporate owners of the party who want ONLY cheap labor. And that is what the H-1B, L-1, J-1, F-1, O-1, B-1 and the other work visas are all about - cheap labor.

2 Likes

These visa procurement firms are modern day slavery procurers who rape the foreign workers while screwing US citizens – not only those displaced by foreign visaed workers but US taxpayers as a whole. End these programs.

1 Like

There was an oversight in the article:

IBM paid $44,000 to the U.S. Justice Department from their tipping jar.

The part in bold was omitted for some reason.

3 Likes

For every person who comments here, have you talked to your congressperson and senators? You MUST CALL, WRITE, FAX. They must hear from US WORKERS. They hear from the corporate lobbyists of the cheap labor lobby. If you want this to end, call them TOMORROW. Call THEM TUESDAY.

1 Like

It is very hard to fire workers in Germany, unless a massive lay-off is required to keep the company afloat.

Hence German companies are mostly stuck with their workforce and this encourages them to invest into their human resources.

On the other hand labor and employment regulations allow for short-staffing, i.e. forced vacations at lower pay rate. That’s how Germany managed to ride out the big demand collapse at the beginning of the great recession. Once demand was back German companies could step up without missing a beat.

Labor is also more tightly integrated within the companies and their management. While there is adversity, in the end labor has the numbers and knows not to overplay their hand in order to keep the jobs on shore.

2 Likes

My Congressman and Senators have safe seats and do as they damn well please. I’ve written to Steny Hoyer on several occasions outraged at his stand on an issue, and got back a form letter saying he’s glad I agree with his position.