Discussion: Avenatti Hit With New Charges, Accused Of Defrauding A Client Via Book Deal

Victim-1 is Stormy Daniels.

“Knowing that I know now about Michael Avenatti, I am saddened but not shocked by news reports that he has been criminally charged today,” Daniels said in a statement. “I made the decision more than a month ago to terminate Michael’s services after discovering that he had dealy with me extremely dishonestly and there will be more announced to come.”

8 Likes

Maybe Avenatti can sell that supposed incriminating CD (or DVD?) of Trump on EBay to fund his legal expenses.

3 Likes

I’m consistenly amazed that crooks like this seem to think that we’re living in the 19th Century (or earlier), when moving money around involved bags of difficult-to-trace cash. These days, there’s always a paper trail, one that any halfway-decent prosecutor can follow, if he or she is so inclined. How does someone like Avenatti think he’s going to get away with it?

ETA: This, of course, is why Trump is so desperate to keep anyone from unearthing the paper trail of his various frauds and cons. He knows what’s there.

15 Likes

And yet, Michael still looks like a Boy Scout compared to the Groper-in-Tweet.

6 Likes

Well, tis pity all this. I’m thankful he got the ball rolling with Cohen and hate to see him implode like this, but we’ve got bigger fish to fry and he’s just going to have to be road kill along the way. It’s too bad, I hate this for him, but he brought it on himself.

10 Likes

Things always seem to go badly when lawyers try to make things about themselves rather than their clients. It’s a shame that Avenatti has cast such a negative light on lawyers (as so many others in our profession have done and no doubt will do in the future) and has drawn attention away from the real issues surrounding the President and Ms. Daniels.

6 Likes

Just a generalization based on personal experience, I admit, but most of the time when one encounters one of these “alpha males” there’s almost always a combination present of bullshit, braggadocio, lack of self awareness, aggression in various forms and quantities, potential for cruelty and ethical lapse.

Avenatti,
Trump,
Gorka,
Gen Kelly
Putin
Dutarte
Erdogan
And the list goes on.

Maybe in the Pleistocene, these traits had some adaptive value, but now it’s time to act civilized.

12 Likes

Will this affect his Presidential run?

12 Likes

Avenatti gets more qualified to be POTUS by the day.

7 Likes

I wonder if Avenatti billed Daniels for all the hours he spent on cable news interviews.

1 Like

When I saw this in your list of alpha males with “potential for cruelty and ethical lapse”, I read it as Gene Kelly. It was quite the WTF moment.

8 Likes

Have you seen “Xanadu”?

1 Like

He should launch a primary challenge against Trump. He’s positioning himself to totally take the Evangelical vote.

7 Likes

I wonder if Avenatti billed Daniels for all the hours he spent on cable news interviews.

I am guessing that Avenatti didn’t bill Daniels directly. She probably doesn’t have that kind of money and would have pulled out of the lawsuit. Avenatti probably took the gofundme’s and other 3rd party financing of her lawsuit.

2 Likes

I’m starting to think that the entire motivation for Avenatti to come out of the woodwork as a Trump attack dog was resentment that Trump was out-grifting him.

5 Likes

I don’t see why it would be a problem, considering what the electorate has proven they are willing to overlook. Avenatti probably has at least a bit of a chance because, even if he’s done things as awful as the current pResident, he’s marginally better looking than the fat orange guy with the ferret on his head.

3 Likes

I’m wondering how he justifies ‘millions’ in fees and costs.

Will this affect his Presidential run?

Ha!

Is there a better get out of jail card than “You can’t indict a sitting president!”? … save the “I pardon myself” card.

3 Likes

Among the allegations in the new indictment are diverting and stealing money owed to his client, identified in news stories as Stormy Daniels

Can’t get much lower than that if you’re an attorney.

If the allegations are proven, he is finished.

4 Likes