Discussion: Atlanta Airport Passengers Wait More Than An Hour To Get Through Security

Longer lines! Longer lines! Longer lines! :smirk:

4 Likes

An Air Traffic Controller and TSA Strike in time for the Super Bowl would be an interesting sight… Heck, isn’t MLK this weekend? Bump it up.

7 Likes

Best snooze I’ve read so far today. More, please.

2 Likes

We need more strikes to remind people how much they depend on others to live a smooth life.

I was in Frankfurt Airport one year like the week before Easter. Would have been a busy day anyway as schools went on vacation, but then a massive sickout happened with screeners… Lines wrapped around the massive concourse, many of us missed flights and were rebooked on later ones when we did finally get through.

5 Likes

So tired, overstressed workers who are showing up to work while not getting paid, get to face grumpy/frustrated travelers facing longer wait times, I imagine they, too are grumpy as hell.

Sounds miserable.

Not that the dude who took his ball and went home cares. Cuz - Everyone Loves Him and Wants the Wall !!!

5 Likes

This is atlanta we’re talking about. The place you get stuck on the way to hell.

From my experience that’s longer than the usual lines, but not mindbogglingly so.

2 Likes

TSA screeners aren’t paid much, if they miss a paycheck they probably have no money for gas, fares or lunch. And since they are in vacation anyway (according to some moron in the WH) why bothering to show up? I have a hard time believing that a labor mediator will believe that is justified to fire a worker that didn’t show up when he has not been paid for several weeks.

4 Likes

It’s basic federal rules about sick leave. They can’t use it except as specific defined things. Not getting a paycheck is not a valid excuse.

On the macro level, you’re probably right, not much push behind it.

On the micro level, this is where supervisors can use this as a legitimate tool to get rid of people they don’t like. It’s a clear rule violation.

3 Likes

They can always claim that since they had not been paid, they had to skip meals and that made them weak and dizzy and unable to perform.

2 Likes

Then the supervisors can start requiring them to go to a doctor to get a doctor’s note validating their incapacity to work…

It’s a losing battle for employees. That’s why we need to give them stronger protections, including the right to Strike when they’re not getting paychecks.

4 Likes

Atlanta huh? Where a lady just got on an international flight to Japan with a gun and ammunition…and nobody registered that! Luckily, she self reported to the flight attendants and got sent back from Japan on the next flight. The Japanese are probably thinking WTF?

3 Likes

I’m sorry for all of the passengers, but we need more of this. We need travel shut down and services failures of all kinds all over the country. The blind need to be made to see.

2 Likes

As inconvenient as this sounds, they warn constantly 365/24 to show up as early as possible to get through the lines at ATL.

They are constantly longer than anywhere else.

I’m not sure why this is news except that maybe there’s a better reason than usual for the length of the lines.

I flew out of MSP last night and, yeah, I waited a little longer than usual to get through TSA, but there weren’t any stories about that last night.

Talk to me when ATL has to start shutting terminals, like Miami has done. That’ll be a story.

2 Likes

Houston shut down a terminal early on Friday.

1 Like

If they can’t afford gas or bus fare, how can they even get to the doctor? And what about the co-pay?

1 Like

Corporate air travel is what keeps US airlines in business. I should know; I’m self-employed but work as a consultant on mostly-corporate events. I fly a lot most years.

Corporations keep track of every second their employees are working and make decisions on the value of every second, as they reckon it. That’s how they justify having private jets for their top Executives. That $10,000,000/yr. Exec makes about $19/minute, if you consider them to be on the clock every second of every day. If you get a few such Execs going to the same place, and you can save them a few hours by having a private jet, in corporate finance terms you’ve saved the company money.

Corporate America isn’t going to put up with having all their road-warriors on the clock for more hours per day because of President Trump’s ineptly having painted himself into the Mother of All Corners. Corporate America will come down on GOP Senators and get a solution that meets their needs, just as the home mortgage industry got the IRS employees who verify incomes paid through incoming tax revenues so the home mortgage business didn’t come to a halt.

3 Likes

None of those things are in the rules, so it doesn’t matter.

Again, not saying it’s fair, it’s just the reality of the situation they’re in. Lose-lose all around.

I hate to blow the story, but hour long lines in Atlanta for non-TSA pre are not necessarily unusual.

1 Like

You may want to recheck your math there. $10,000,000 a year, is around $80 a minute.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available