Discussion: As Trump Took Office, Immigrants' Reports Of Domestic Violence Dropped

Trump offsetting #metoo with #meneither.

5 Likes

Not a bug, a feature.

4 Likes

Well yeah, getting deported doesn’t really make up for a beating…

These crimes have NOT gone away. "“Undocumented immigrants and even lawful immigrants are afraid to report crime,” Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo told the Times.

And that, so-called president Trump, is why police and other LEAs and governments in more civilized parts of the country are declaring sanctuary cities, counties, and states. We know that you have no concern for non-white people suffering, but most of the people you govern do care, and frankly we don’t care if they are citizens, documented immigrants, refugees, or otherwise. We all have a right to live in peace and to be protected by the police without worrying about being swept up by your storm-trooper ICE agents.

4 Likes

Immigrants are reporting domestic violence at lower rates than they were prior to President Donald Trump’s election, the New York Times reported Sunday, a trend law enforcement officials attributed to Trump’s insistence on increased deportations and the strict enforcement of immigration rules.

Only the dumbest of asses would see this and conclude this Administration’s hard line caused couples to become more loving.

In other words, Trumpanzees will see this as a win

3 Likes

Is Mel included in these stats?

3 Likes

There is also reporting on the number of immigrants being detained at Tijuana and who are being warehoused there and it’s becoming a humanitarian crisis. Can’t get into the US, too afraid to go back to Mexico and elsewhere. It’s like a nightmarish version of Hotel California, they can check in but they can never leave.

3 Likes

Probably also US citizens of the obvious name or skin color (although that’s much harder to track). Because the risk of getting caught up in the system just adds to the standard risks of reporting abuse. Republicans: objectively in favor of more dead women.

1 Like

Acevedo was chief of police in Austin right before he fled to Houston. He was responsible for one of the most corrupt, brutal police departments in the US. Under his watch, there were hundreds of cases where police violated citizens’ rights; nothing was ever done about it. He’s pretending to care about immigrants; he doesn’t. He wants them to report so he can deport. Once a corrupt cop, always a corrupt cop. Houston should be ashamed of itself.

1 Like

Part of me hopes and prays that Trump is too dense to understand that his policies are encouraging immigrant victims not to report domestic violence, but another part of me understands that he doesn’t really view women as fully human and immigrant women are less human than others. If he did he wouldn’t separate mothers and babies at the border. I wouldn’t be surprised that the “pussy grabber-in-chief” and alleged wife “rapist” isn’t secretly in favor of men striking women to keep them in “their place.” Hell, many in his evangelical base overtly feel that way.

1 Like

It’s like…damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

Not sure what, if any, axe you have to grind. Your comment led me to do a quick search online. What I found was not very consistent with the tone I got from your post. Here’s a link to one analysis that seemed pretty balanced: https://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/local/police-chief-art-acevedo-built-resume-community-ti/ns9Pm/

Speaking of domestic violence,
Where is Melania ?
The all powerful untouchable king has not spoke of her in a while now.
Did she say something that caused her demise like:
I want a divorce.

1 Like

And how many domestic violence situations are NOT reported ?

Slightly, only slightly, OT, I see Walmart detention centers were an actual RW projection.

1 Like

According to his first wife, he does strike women.

1 Like

Crime underground, where conservatives prefer.