Discussion: As Professors Resign In Protest, New UVA President Supports Marc Short Hiring

What professors are resigning? Probably adjuncts and lecturers. I would highly doubt any tenured or tenure track professor would quit a gig at UVA for any reason.

1 Like

Good people on both sides, huh mr. unelected administrator?

5 Likes

“I think it was the right call,” UVA President James Ryan told the Washington Post on his first day in the new gig, adding that Marc Short would be able to contribute valuable insight to the campus center — that focuses on U.S. presidents and policy — as “someone who has been on the front lines of this presidency, who can help us try to understand it.”

What’s to “understand?”

18 Likes

He can teach them how to be fine white supremacists.

2 Likes

Melvyn Leffler and William Hitchcock are far from adjunct. They are senior faculty/historians and quite accomplished. I believe they are both endowed chairs, something most faculty only dream of.

26 Likes

“I think it was the right call,” UVA President James Ryan told the Washington Post on his first day in the new gig, adding that Marc Short would be able to contribute valuable insight to the campus center — that focuses on U.S. presidents and policy — as “someone who has been on the front lines of this presidency, who can help us try to understand it.”

So, how exactly are you going to get Short to tell the truth so you can understand this presidency?

20 Likes

They are not resigning as UVA professors. They are only dropping their affiliation with an interdepartmental/interdisciplinary policy center within the university. They’ll still have their departmental appointments.

19 Likes

If you want to get to a university president, there’s only one way to do it: stop contributing to their endowments.

15 Likes

If it’s a done deal why not fight Short at the University level? Many moons ago I had an extremely liberal history professor that debated William Buckley over the Vietnam War. It was absolutely fascinating and although it didn’t change many students minds, Buckley himself made statements at the end of how all the facts and history made him think about his position.

10 Likes

The headline is definitely misleading.
#As Professors and Students Protest New UVA President Supports Marc Short

is considerably more accurate. When I read the headline I thought to myself, “Self, this is some serious shit if faculty are resigning.” University professors overall are a pretty risk-averse group. Giving up a tenured position in an era of retrenchment and increased reliance on gypsy faculty is a huge statement.

Alas, such is not the case. They are resigning their affiliation with the Center only: that is to say, (probably) decreasing their own workloads slightly (because such affiliations don’t usually come with release time) and decreasing the prestige level of the Center slightly.

It isn’t a nothing-burger, but it isn’t any more than an appetizer.

13 Likes

Following the same reasoning, this guy would have hired Goebbels too if he hadn’t killed himself. Much the same way the Army hired Wernher von Braun.

4 Likes

Demand that the President of the University of Virginia James Ryan step down. Get the professors and alumni to protest the Universities Board of Regents.

1 Like

Just as I thought. The headline is deceptive. No tenured professor at a prestigious university like UVA in their right mind would resign from their position over something like this, unless they already had another job at an equally prestigious university, with tenure locked in, already lined up.

4 Likes

Marc Short might have something to say if he were scrupulously honest. Yet his time with Trump proves that he’s a suck-up toady, having sold any shred of dignity for proximity to power. That’s something the Pres. of UVA understands, of course.

2 Likes

If Short had any integrity, he’d decline and seek another gig. But then, if he had any integrity…

3 Likes

They are tenured professors who will continue to be affiliated to their departments, just not to the Miller Center.

University presidents are generally hired from the “no aversion to free money from oligarchs” demographic.

9 Likes

It’s time for student, faculty and alumni to begin calling for President James Ryan’s removal. That he’s proud and confident in the hiring of Marc Short is all the evidence one needs he’s entirely unfit for the job.

3 Likes

There is a gross misperception that all university personnel are liberals. The natural sciences (e.g., physics, chemistry, geology, biology) are liberal as are much of the social sciences with political scientists and a few psychologists sometimes an exception. Economists who reside in business schools/departments are often conservative like the general business faculty. Liberal arts lean liberal and some go off the deep edge like the post modernism that infected them back a couple of decades ago.

However, administrators are largely conservative, especially at the top where they are appointed by governors and trustees who themselves tend to be conservative. For example, when I was teaching at an Indiana regional campus, the President of the entire Indiana system was chosen by the governor because he headed Bush’s Presidential campaign in Florida. And he chose conservative chancellors for all the campuses. They in turn chose conservative flunkies under them.

6 Likes