Discussion: Apple Removes Alex Jones, Infowars From iTunes And Podcast Apps

1 Like

Ridiculous. What took them so long?

29 Likes

Pay attention Spotify!

This is how it’s done.

6 Likes

Start smashing Apple products, minions! Get that Keurig-smashing hammer out! Course you can’t get anything for less than a grand. Heh.

22 Likes

In an announcement expected today, Trump will name Alex Jones as his new Press Secretary, replacing Sarah Sanders. Trump tweeted: “Alex Jones is my kind of guy. I plan to put all of his prior shows on my official White House website.”

14 Likes

Misleading because Jones and his stooges had 5 different podcasts on iTunes. 4 of the 5 have been removed. 1 of them is still up and running…

3 Likes

Because corporate control of speech on otherwise open platforms is good thing?

This is a more complex issue than just removing Alex Jones from Apple platforms.

1 Like

Every “open platform” with a modicum of responsibility to its users prohibits hate speech. It’s not in their financial interest to take down anything that has an audience, but Jones is objectively vile. It’s really not debatable. So it’s in their interest as a part of the world community not to facilitate his vileness getting out and causing more harm. Not everything corporations do is bad. And it’s really not a complex issue. It’s pretty much a settled matter in almost every online setting and just about every place humans agree on norms.

35 Likes

How do infowar deplorables even afford Apple products? Not on minimum wage.

4 Likes

The [BARN] -------> The Horse…

7 Likes

Q has made it to the Apple board room…

8 Likes

The podcasts will be replaced by readings from Mein Kampf.

3 Likes

“Hey Paw! The horse ran out the barn!”

“Well SHUT THE DAMN DOOR!”

6 Likes

I have no idea why Apple consented to lend Jones their megaphone for so long.

Better late than never, I guess, but this is not exactly a bold, principled stand.

3 Likes

It’s always funny, but sad (sad!), to me how little internet lolbertarians really grok the principle of free association, which you would think would be one of the cornerstones of their ideology.

Why should Apple feel obligated to associate with the likes of Alex Jones? Nobody knows, but if you shout “corporate censorship” loud enough it starts to sound like a pretty scary bogeyman.

(optional: combine with OWS field expedient bucket bongo-drum)

15 Likes

Over the years Apple computers have filtered out into the non-hipster public, I’ve noticed. But you can put iTunes on your Lenovo or anything else.

4 Likes

Well, if a corporation does it then there you are, it’s sinister. I suppose you could explain it to someone by saying that if you want to stand on the sidewalk and yell “Bicycle riders are evil and drink their bathwater” you can. But you can’t yell it on my porch. But you mention a corporation, even the warmer, fuzzier ones, and some people see a bunch of mustache-twirling Snidely Whiplashes.

13 Likes

Here is a chorus for you, Alex: “Poor, poor pitiful me, poor poor pitiful me.” - but given that you are noway as lyrical or soothing as Ronstadt I expect something from you (Jones) like: "The Devil Has been Unleashed by the Demoncrats who have smashed Apple to their will… THe CiVel War Has Started!!!1!1!

3 Likes

Early Monday Spotify hardened its stance against Jones. The company
announced that the “Alex Jones Show" podcast was banned from the
platform entirely. Last week, Spotify removed only certain episodes of
the podcast, but the music-streaming company said the program continued
to defy the rules against hate content. “We take reports of hate content
seriously and review any podcast episode or song that is flagged by our
community,” the company said in a statement to The Post. "Due to
repeated violations of Spotify’s prohibited content policies, The Alex
Jones Show has lost access to the Spotify platform.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2018/08/06/apple-facebook-spotify-remove-alex-jones-content/?utm_term=.df67cd7d4534

10 Likes

No, it’s not. Alex Jones is human garbage who shouldn’t have any say on any platform that wants to remain a respectable media outlet. If insane libertarians and alt-righters want to rile themselves up with their daily 3 hours of hate speech they can live up to their free market principles and start their own platforms. Apple doesn’t want blood on their hands when one of Jones’ insane followers does something like get one of Sandy Hook’s victims families killed. This goes way beyond partisan politics. Apple made the right decision.

23 Likes