Discussion: Alabama Teacher Of The Year Resigns After State Calls Her Unqualified

the south will continue to run off the brightest minds to teach their ignorant kids and soon the south will be a cesspool of stupid at which point the north needs to ask them kindly…“would you please secede from us…Thank you very much!”

1 Like

Anti-intellectualism strikes again. They probably execute their Valedictorians and give their Salutatarians life.

2 Likes

I feel like there might be a fact or two missing from this story. That said, I find it sad that yet another seemingly very qualified and dedicated educator is fed up and wants out.

2 Likes

Public schools or charter schools? Either one can be subjected to bad administrations and interference from special private interests.
Generally the nature of charter (greedy capitalists, low teacher pay and no teacher qualifications) vs the nature of public (local school boards, low but not as low teacher pay but do have qualification standards) dictates public as the answer but we need to address the problems. For example, in the South where education has been historically less than par produces boards not able to govern. Just saying.

1 Like

Why is our children not learning? Because Alabama.

3 Likes

Bull Shit… another “voucher” idiot.

Not here; my wife has taught in the public school system for 35 years. Apparently, my sarcasm wasn’t as obvious as I’d intended for it to be.

Still, I’m not sure I’ve earned the right to be called an idiot.

9 Likes

Got a good laugh on that one!

Reps are sticklers for the rules . . . . unless it affects minorities, then . . . .

Know what you mean. My late wife earned the designation of Mentor Teacher in our state. She then held teaching sessions for younger and newer teachers, got a stipend for it.
She had one horror tale after another about teachers going through this kind of Kafkaesque bureaucratic Chinese water torture.
Some said screw it, bailed, went to another system or quit.

1 Like

How was your IQ measured/determined if not by some kind of (standardized) testing?

30 years… wow…I think of the burnout schedule to be about 7 years after which teachers start looking toward an admin job, which leads to all kinds of top heavy configurations. Of course, as admin they have to think up things to administrate which leads to all kinds of certifications, etc. none of which helps the teacher in the classroom. The entire US education system needs an overhaul. Restoring the status and regard for the in the trenches teachers should be a first step.

4 Likes

Anything bestowed by anyone at the National level of course is suspect in Alabama per officials at the State Department of Education. Coming from that State, I’m sure that’s just a given. What a shame. She sounds like a great educator.

1 Like

##Punt Bama Punt!

jw1

1 Like

LOL. That mom in the photo has that “how dare you give my perfect and overly talented child a B” look on her face.

Haha…you dropped a Poe’s Law bomb on the thread apparently.

3 Likes

I read your post as snark…

Obviously a teacher needs to stay current.

As many of you pointed out the Administration comes out of the Teaching pool. So have they suddenly become stupid? If not, then good, they are not teaching.

As far As I can see or understand from what little we know, this teacher was assigned a second grade class, but for reasons not stipulated she was transferred to a 5th grade class, where it was probably discovered she did not have a state certificate to teach that class, and was informed of that fact. What that meant, who knows we are not told, other than she need not resign.

From what I know class assignments are based on student registration before school starts, students are divided up to about equal class sizes. When school starts more or less students show up so the school has too many second grade teachers and not enough 5th grade so adjustments are made. Someone probably saw her 5th grade National certificate, so she was assigned a 5th grade class, but AL does not recognize that Cert… Most of the time there is a year or so time frame to achieve that certificate to continue teaching that grade. So next year she probably would have been back at second grade

My daughter teaches preschool thru 3rd grade with certificates in Special education and Bilingual education. She is moved as many as three times a year. The student pool is anything but static.

The schools do what they can with the money they have and the teachers they can hire. Unfortunately it seems we do not want to pay, and or help the teachers keep current to what the State demands.

2 Likes

@LJB 860 “Can tell you as a student, I could never pass an exam and as someone with 3 PHD degrees, I still can’t spell or form a grammatically correct sentence.”

I am probably a lot older than you but I grew up in the public school system and 4 years in Catholic School. Spelling was my best subject and even though I hated studying, was able to pass tests. I must admit we had dedicated teachers and grew up in a small town which obviously made a difference . I have a great great grandniece in 6th grade who just started private school this year because she wasn’t learning in a classroom of 41 students. and she is very bright but her spelling and writing is substandard. She is now in a classroom with 12 other students. We shall see if it makes a difference. t don;t know what has changed over the years in our teaching methods but apparently it isn;t working. Why we strayed away from basic teaching methods is beyond me.

This wouldn’t have happened if she were allowed to carry a gun in her classroom.

/s

6 Likes

Ms Corgill, please consider Tucson Arizona as a place to teach. We need good teachers here and I am sure you could find a good spot should you be interested.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available