Discussion: Alabama Teacher Of The Year Resigns After State Calls Her Unqualified

If you read the article, however, she had state based certifications that allowed for her to teach 5th graders. This was simply another certification that she likely had to pay for out of her own pocket which would have been duplicative. My continuing education is reimbursed by my company, but many teachers don’t have that luxury. She’s probably just over it.

3 Likes

This case seems to be a bit different. She has a state certification for grades K-3, and a National Board Certification for ages 7-12. Assuming that most start kindergarten at age 5, this covers her for all but the most extreme cases. She also started the year in 2nd grade, and the administration moved her to 5th grade.

Where I live in NC, there are many teachers leaving the profession because it’s just not worth the hassle, or they simply can’t afford to keep teaching, or a combination of both. I can’t imagine it’s much better in AL. Why bother working at a job where you’re consistently undervalued?

I see this as a “last straw” situation. They’ve pushed her over the edge and she’s tired of the hassle.

It’s unfortunate, though not surprising, that the the kids get the short end of the stick as a result of the stupidity of the adults who should know better.

11 Likes

gib us a brake, budy, we aur wurkin on it

I guess I’m just saying unlike Kim Davis, she didn’t want to jump through the hoops and she did the right thing and left. Not saying the hoops were good or made the jumpers better, but hopefully if they don’t, this might make someone take notice and try to straighten things out.

1 Like

there are a few of differences here: first, your mandated training/recertification is mandated by your professional organization–your colleagues, in other words. Not your clients.
Second, she didn’t suddenly go into teaching fifth graders–she was assigned to the job. In a world that made a little more sense, the bureaucratic fight would be between the board and the administrator who ordered the transfer–but it’s the teacher herself who has to fix it.
Third, she has a certification to teach kids in the relevant age group–just not the RIGHT kind of certification. This is nonsensical–and typical.

9 Likes

Bull Shit… another “voucher” idiot… take scant resources and put into for profit schools, I don’t have stats but I’m willing to bet that 9 of 10 pay the administrations very well and screw the kids as well as the classroom teachers. Even after they take the cream by picking and choosing, kicking out the poorer (grade wise, not income) so that stats are good they still fail.

I for one got tired of my kids getting short straws and ran for the local school board, won and saw for myself as an insider just what the administrations dealt with. As a former teacher I also know what teachers dealt with. In both cases it was usually dealing with some politicians idea of teaching and usually required testing of some means to prove the idea worked. Most don’t. Can tell you as a student, I could never pass an exam and as someone with 3 PHD degrees, I still can’t spell or form a grammatically correct sentence. My IQ of 156 means nothing, I actually I did not pass Mensa testing.

Certification based on testing alone is worthless.

3 Likes

Charlie’s being snarky…

4 Likes

Maybe… look at past posts and you’d question the snark line…

I couldn’t “like” enough posts here.

Having literally taught every grade from daycare through college, the problems I always had were with the administration. Who was it that said “there’s nothing like the love of a functionary for their function”?

When I taught Title 1 and ESL at the grade school level, I considered getting a proper license. Every veteran teacher very earnestly tried to talk me out of it and said they’d do it all over again if they knew the increasing bureaucracy they’d face. And the new teachers weren’t much happier.

The problem is the bureaucracy is easy to build and increase because of one political battlecry:

1 Like

True, coz Charter’s don’t have Bureaucrats, they have Entrepreneurs!!

Aka Grifters.

3 Likes

If only the teachers could get together in a group, and negotiate as a group about issues like this. What would you call something like that? Right to work? No.

UNION!.

8 Likes

“the department reported that her current teaching certificate covers
primary grades through Grade 3. This does not carry with it a
requirement for resignation.”

I am curious. Which teaching certificates DO carry with it a requirement for resignation?

7 Likes

the south will continue to run off the brightest minds to teach their ignorant kids and soon the south will be a cesspool of stupid at which point the north needs to ask them kindly…“would you please secede from us…Thank you very much!”

1 Like

Anti-intellectualism strikes again. They probably execute their Valedictorians and give their Salutatarians life.

2 Likes

I feel like there might be a fact or two missing from this story. That said, I find it sad that yet another seemingly very qualified and dedicated educator is fed up and wants out.

2 Likes

Public schools or charter schools? Either one can be subjected to bad administrations and interference from special private interests.
Generally the nature of charter (greedy capitalists, low teacher pay and no teacher qualifications) vs the nature of public (local school boards, low but not as low teacher pay but do have qualification standards) dictates public as the answer but we need to address the problems. For example, in the South where education has been historically less than par produces boards not able to govern. Just saying.

1 Like

Why is our children not learning? Because Alabama.

3 Likes

Bull Shit… another “voucher” idiot.

Not here; my wife has taught in the public school system for 35 years. Apparently, my sarcasm wasn’t as obvious as I’d intended for it to be.

Still, I’m not sure I’ve earned the right to be called an idiot.

9 Likes

Got a good laugh on that one!

Reps are sticklers for the rules . . . . unless it affects minorities, then . . . .

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available