Discussion: Alabama Census Lawsuit Targeting Immigrants Survives Motion To Dismiss

1 Like

This entire debacle is about creating a class of “de-humanized” people. The echoes of Nazi Germany’s treatment of the Jews in the 1930s is chilling (Godwin be damned! I just call it like I see it).

The modern GOP has set the stage for creating a scapegoat class for their deplorable base to rally against, preventing any sort of introspection on the part of the affected that will force them to realize that they have been conned by a two-bit group of hoodlums and grifters literally taking the food from the mouths of their children.

23 Likes

The lawsuit is separate from the several challenges brought against the Trump administration for adding a citizenship question to the census — an issue that is now before the Supreme Court.

Anyone know why this case wasn’t enjoined, (not sure that’s the proper legal term however) in the Supreme Court case? The article doesn’t say why its not a part of SCOTUS’s consideration.

Formalizing the informal parts.

1 Like

Mo Brooks should resign his Congressional seat and return to his acting role in The Three Stooges.

1 Like

I won’t live long enough to see it, but sometime around 2060, when people of color comprise about 65% of the U.S. populace, I’d love to watch President Gonzalez revive the 3/5 Clause of the Constitution and apply it to the caucasian race.

White people suck. And I say that as a white person.

7 Likes

As a Democrat in a red state I plan to refuse to answer the citizenship question. If enough of us in red states do this we can crash the validity of the exercise or at least diminish the red state populations and thus apportionment of seats by as much or more than more diverse blue states

4 Likes

Its also a legal tactic to insure white majority rule by Republicans that wouldn’t be able to achieve a majority any other way as demographics in the country have changed. Sacrificing representation in the states means next to nothing to them so long as they can insure whoever does represent them are GOPers with white skin. Besides, the GOP has never cared about providing federal money for community services based on census data to those outside their small tent.

So basically, its a two-fer for them.

11 Likes

You know what Alabama?

If you actually welcome these immigrants into your state, you would actually get -

1. More people shopping at your stores and buying your goods - more money in your pockets
  2. More people paying federal and state taxes, even though they probably won’t personally benefit from paying those taxes
  3. A larger population and possibly even another representative of your own - to help out with that electoral college problem that you’re complaining about.
15 Likes

And in other important news

And the DNC doesn’t want to debate it?!

WWIII on the day we celebrate the start of the end of WWII

3 Likes
  1. Find enough laborers to harvest the crops that currently rot in your fields.
8 Likes

We’ll all be dead by starvation due to climate change by 2060.

2 Likes

Brian Cash can put a figure to the cost of Alabama’s new immigration law: at least $100,000. That’s the value of the tomatoes he has personally ripening out in his fields and that are going unpicked because his Hispanic workforce vanished literally overnight.

For generations, Cash’s family have farmed 125 acres atop the Chandler mountain, a plateau in the north of the state about nine miles long and two miles wide. It’s perfect tomato-growing country – the soil is sandy and rich, and the elevation provides a breeze that keeps frost at bay and allows early planting.

For four months every year he employs almost exclusively Hispanic male workers to pick the harvest. This year he had 64 men out in the fields.
Then HB56 came into effect, the new law that makes it a crime not to carry valid immigration documents and forces the police to check on anyone they suspect may be in the country illegally.

The provisions – the toughest of any state in America – were enforced on 28 September. By the next day Cash’s workforce had dwindled to 11.

Today there is no-one left. The fields around his colonial-style farmhouse on top of a mountain are empty of pickers and the tomato plants are withering on the vine as far as the eye can see. The sweet, slightly acrid smell of rotting tomato flesh hangs in the air.

***Idjits***
13 Likes

The U.S Constitutions requires that they be counted.

Article 1, section 2, clause 3 states, ““Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole number of free persons,…”

Unless the state of Alabama is trying to reinstate their previous position that some people in this country are not free, i.e; SLAVES the case must be dismissed.

7 Likes

I concur, it will force them to send census takers to our residences to specifically fill out that question, and indeed would make the 2020 egregiously expensive. I am wondering how that is going to work out with the Online Form though.

2 Likes

No biggy. If the motion to dismiss was just based on standing, it was a worthy shot to take, but a tough one to make.

Next up, a motion for summary judgment…altho those are notoriously hard to get granted too.

2 Likes

This is arresting, on purpose, I think.

1 Like

Alabama already receives more Federal tax dollars than it pays in, as do most red States. So if they get less by doing this, fine by me.

5 Likes

Works for me. The planet will mete out its justice one way or another. The sooner homo sapiens pass on the sooner it can all return to equilibrium, and the plants and animals, the air and land, can all get back into harmony and everything can flourish naturally. We’re an anomoly, unnatural, and unnatural things get extinguished by the larger forces at play. They have to, it’s how things work.

1 Like

Yeah, but her emails…

8 Likes