Discussion: Alabama Bans 'Arthur' Episode With Gay Wedding

conservatives like Sebastian Gorka lamented that the cartoon wedding was “a war for our culture.”

Yes, but Mr. Gorka, you’re in the US, not Hungary, so what war are you talking about?

1 Like

And I was/am just a tourist: on-air talent, producer, fund-raiser. Always essentially volunteer, so I never had to worry about some mis-spelled bucktoothed teahad aguinst “that commie librul public teevee” would cost me a living.

8 Likes

Bill Maher said it
Come on you Alabama kids move to California. It’s sunny , progressive and 2019

3 Likes

I could do without all the “jokes” about incest / stupid hicks / no shoes, etc. I’m having a lot of trouble seeing how it’s any less ignorant, hateful, or lacking in compassion than the angle the Breitbart crowd takes on “the snowflake liberal gays in California”.

8 Likes

I’ve done a bit of writing both about and for a couple public-broadcast entities so I know the milieu a little. It’s pretty hand-to-mouth most places, not just in red states.

5 Likes

Alabama Public Television refused to air an episode of “Arthur” last week that featured a wedding between two men, choosing instead to play a re-run episode.

The title of the re-run episode is “Mr. Ratburn Prevents Roy Moore from Cruising the Mall for Underage Girls.”

6 Likes

Are you going to do a GoFundMe? This argument is similar to when conservatives say all those minorities in the inner cities just need to move somewhere else to find jobs, better housing, etc.

This statement, and 99% of the comments here about Alabama, is ignorant beyond imagining.

I’m an out gay man in Alabama, early 50s, and although there are plenty of pockets of anti-gay sentiment here, most people just don’t care in their day to day lives. They may think differently but in action the homophobia is not that much different than in most states.

All these comments just make it so much harder for those of us on the left to make any progress with people in red states. If you convince people that liberals/leftists think they’re stupid hicks, then they’ll turn out everything you try to say to show them how conservatism doesn’t work.

Those of you who live on the coasts or in larger cities that are blue and progressive don’t realize how easy you have it. Just stop with the reverse hate mongering here. You’re not better, and are actually worse, than conservatives because you should know better.

8 Likes

11 Likes

7 Likes

It’s ridiculous, these comments. Part of the reasons liberals/leftists can’t make progress with the working class/poor in red states. Just feeds into the whole us vs them mentality.

2 Likes

I guess California wasn’t regressive when it passed Prop 8? Or should ignorance only be called out in red states? Because, you know, hypocrisy?

2 Likes

When Clem gets the tin foil just right on the rabbit ears Hee-Haw comes in clear as a sunny day.

2 Likes

Indeed. Everywhere. And the people who work in it mostly do it out of conviction–because the pay scales certainly don’t compete with the private sector.

Spot on. I did southern IN and now west TX.

1 Like

Oh, so one is a rat and the other is an aardvark? HAHAHAHAHA You know they frown upon mixed marriages too.

That’s the exact opposite of what needs to happen. Come on, you progressives in sunny California. Move to KY, AL, MS, TN, and don’t forget to bring your liberal votes with ya! Things aren’t going to change as long as we liberals are packing our votes in blue states.

12 Likes

I do agree, but remember - respect has to work in both directions.

Live in a red state myself. And I bite my tongue a lot.

6 Likes

It’s been my observation from the study of history that Nazis were rather thin-skinned as well.

And, yes, I do flaunt Godwin’s law regularly these days. If the shoe fits, you know.

4 Likes

'bama has 'lectricity?

2 Likes

O please.

Plenty of us live in red states. I live in Texas. Get a grip - some of these people are morons.

And the ones who aren’t are mean.

12 Likes

If they are, blame Canada.

2 Likes

ENDORSED. And some of it is regional, endemic, and cultural. We’re on the ground. We see.

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available