Discussion: Alabama AG Sues Birmingham, Mayor For Covering Confederate Monument

1 Like

Racist Alabama. Color me shocked.

8 Likes

Alabama, where stupidity dwells… and thrives…

5 Likes

In brighter news here in Texas, the haters lost out on trying to pass a bathroom bill…

12 Likes

…and Gov. Greggie is pissed! Loved how Speaker Straus used the rules to defeat the bill.

7 Likes

Not only that, but Dan Goeb ne Patrick is the one that engineered this debacle – including the special session in order to get the bathroom bill passed. Patrick thought that by doing it the special session he could pressure the House – except that the business community, got everything they needed in the regular session and could come out in force without jeopardizing anything. Once the sunset bill was passed, it really was game over.

3 Likes

Gee, and here I thought Republican’ts were against Big Government Control…

6 Likes

It goes from a state rights issue to a city issue.

1 Like

Thassome big ole gubmint. Oo-wee! Y’all thawt uss’ns were foe that liitle 'ole gubmint. We juss dang run outta bathtubs. Gawwwwllly!

1 Like

Mayor Bell should simply point out that he’s protecting the statue from vandalism that is sure to occur.

And while we’re outing white supremacist who should be fired from their jobs …

… meet Alabama Attorney General Steve Marshall, Racist.

13 Likes

Anti-federal/county/municipal, pro-state; Goldilocks governance.

4 Likes

Straus may be a tight-fisted with public money Republican, but he is a social moderate. He’s untouchable, too. He represents Alamo Heights, Olmos Park and University Heights. Very old school fiscally conservative, socially moderate Republican area.

The business wing of the Texas Republican party doesn’t give a shit about social issues past getting the votes of the talibangelicals to get into office to deliver their pro-business agenda.

4 Likes

“…affixing tarps and placing plywood around the Linn Park memorial such that it is hidden from view…”

Kinda like the Klan and Nazis used to be hidden from view.

Until the GOP voted them into the White House.

17 Likes

15 Likes

Now, I’m not a lawyer, but even I understand the difference between covering something up and “altering” it. Besides, these statues were not erected to commemorate the brave soldiers of the Confederacy; they were put up in the 20th century to celebrate the defeat of Reconstruction. Please stop trying to fight a war you lost more than 150 years ago.

14 Likes

How absolutely Trumpian of the dear man!

1 Like

Big Dick In A Box!

Well, you know - in America we all have our (burning) crosses to bear.

I grew up meself in a sundown town in Michigan.

5 Likes

This is not hyperbole. The AG of Alabama is a dirty traitor.

2 Likes

Actually, they were mostly put up in the 20th Century to send a message to the damnyankee outside ajeetaters and uppity youknowwhats that segregation was eternal.

Oh, and btw, just discovered that Silent Sam on the UNC Campus was put up in 1913 by, of course, who else, those indefatigable erectors of platitudinous segregationist symbolism, the United Daughters of the Confederacy in 1913. And having learned that, my ambivalence fades. Take the fucker down.

9 Likes