Discussion: After Struggle To Raise Funds, Spencer Finally Gets Lawyer In C’ville Case

1 Like

Donors who gave $100 were promised a “hand-written thank you note from Richard,” while those who gave $1,000 would get a phone or Skype call. Deeper-pocketed donors were invited to shell out $50,000 for a “serious legal defense fund” to tackle future lawsuits.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

5 Likes

Who is DiNucci a fixer for?

1 Like

Speaking of racist, wtf is wrong with these cops? There’s so much that so wrong with this whole encounter. 6 fuckin’ back up cars for a guy that just did a shitty job of parking? If I didn’t know better I’d think it was just a modern day lynch mob.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sterling-brown-body-camera-footage_us_5b058380e4b0784cd2b08997

4 Likes

Trying to fix his own bar tab.

2 Likes

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Need to raise money Richard? Set up a Punch a Nazi in the Face booth and charge for the honor.

6 Likes

O/T but wonder if this has a chance?

Was Lionel Hutz not available? How about Perry Mason?

2 Likes

Not that it changes the incident, but the original officer on the scene went around telling the other cars he only wanted one backup unit.

Ticketing the car was discretionary, but not unreasonable, and there is nothing wrong with an officer sticking around long enough to make sure the car wasn’t parked as it was for a fast getaway. Once it was clear that the driver was doing nothing suspicious, all further interaction was unnecessary escalation by the police. When the multiple cops gathered tightly around Brown and badgered him with questions, they looked like a pack of predators waiting for the signal to attack.

All those police there who saw what actually happened went along with the initial report that Brown was combative. Blue lies matter.

7 Likes

I really think a lot of cops believe minorities are bad and so go into law enforcement to try and keep them in line and so they can get away with beating some up whether they deserve it or not.

1 Like

They might get a judge to agree that the Florida law doesn’t give firearms sellers and makers immunity from suits by non-government entities, but, if the judge does allow the suit, they have almost no chance to win it.

Let me guess, it’s not the ACLU doing a pro bono

1 Like

For $100,000 you get an exquisite set of white,1000 thread count, Alabama Cotton sheets, suitable for robe-making…

3 Likes

How do we know DiNucci isn’t an alias for Cohn with an “E”. I’ve heard he was scrambling to keep his stable of horseshit clients at a solid number of 3.

1 Like

Anyone recall how Aryan Nations was folded?
Lawsuits.
Lots of lawsuits.
Until they went bankrupt and dissolved.

I am not arguing for frivolous actions.

Substantive ones will be enough (there are enough of them.)

4 Likes

I took an Interview Techniques course in college years ago. As part of the class we interviewed each other; there were about 20 of us. Except for myself, every other person was a Criminal Justice/Law Enforcement major.

I interviewed most of the other students at one time or another. My first question was invariably, “Why do you want to go into law enforcement?”

I found it rather alarming that among the first three reasons — often the first! — was, consistently, “For the excitement.” What I quickly discovered was that the overwhelming majority of them were yahoos who were latent authoritarian adrenaline junkies. It became pretty obvious over the course of the interviews that they wanted “excitement” and a “steady paycheck.” It also became clear that they really didn’t understand or care about the underlying philosophy behind law enforcement. Moreover, they didn’t understand how boring the job can be. That being said, it was clear that if the job wasn’t “exciting” enough they would make it so, just go ahead and create it. (This is plainly in evidence in the Brown case.)

In short, it was frightening to me that these people would be given any amount of authority, especially if it were accompanied by batons, tasers, firearms and the color of law.

That said, however, there were three or four of them whom I felt would make outstanding peace officers. They stood out like sore thumbs, in a way.

For example, when I asked my “Why” question they would answer, without hesitation, “To help people.” As the interview progressed it became clear that they were, to the person, caring, compassionate people who genuinely wanted to be a force for good in whatever community they might serve. And I believed they would be.

It was also interesting that another thing the “good ones” all had in common was that they all cited specific examples of officers, usually people they knew personally, that they wanted to emulate. They never mentioned excitement at any time unless I asked.

It was an eye-opening experience for me. While it was by-and-large pretty alarming, it was also rather reassuring that there were some really good people among them who wanted to perform a hard job in an admirable way. Too bad it was only about 25% of them.

7 Likes

Sadly, that sounds exactly like what it seems like.

2 Likes

FSM help us all. Needless to say these types should never be allowed anywhere near any kind of badge, to say nothing of any kind of weapon. The fact that they probably make up the bulk of most PDs and SDs and aren’t summarily barred from this line of work says a whole lot about the leadership of said PDs and SDs, and it’s horrifying.

1 Like

I’ve thought in the past they really need to give a personality test that would help weed these shitheads out. sadly I think a similar personality type goes into military.

3 Likes

When I was a kid the next door neighbor kid, a year older than me, always wanted to play “War”. He was a year older than me. So we did. Always. Guess who was the General. Angry, sullen kid. Later he joined the sheriff’s department, because of course. And then he had some kind of a mental breakdown.

Just an anecdote. But still.