Discussion: After KY Gov's Slam, ProPublica Hits Back: 'Actually, We Believe In Evidence'

1 Like

Niiiiiiiiiice…

That’s how you burn a Trumpette

18 Likes

The election for KY governor is next year. I really hope we can be rid of this guy.

18 Likes

Bevin should be worried.

The University of Kentucky was forced to re-hire a tenured professor that Bevin had ordered fired from the public school for commenting on public health issues.

Rather than expose Bevin’s involvement the university settled at the last minute to avoid this information from becoming part of the public record.

He bought a home from a donor whom he gave a state job, for 1/3 of the appraised value.

He tried to hire another donor for a high level position until the CJ put it on the front page. He nearly cost the University of Louisville their accreditation.

Bevin is as crooked as they come.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/matt-bevin-kentucky-pensions_us_594bf56ce4b0a3a837be3d56

25 Likes

The fates of self-righteous hacks like Bevin haven’t been working out too well lately…

4 Likes

Bevin’s idea of hard indisputable evidence is the Creation museum in his state.

10 Likes

How’s it feel to be hoist by your own petard, Matt?

9 Likes

I knew that Matt Bevin was an asshole, but I guess we can add anti-semite to the list too. What is this damned country coming too?

6 Likes

Bevin has ALWAYS been an empty suit…full of FKING OUTRAGE and short on actual ‘facts’. C’mon Kentucky…get real again.

4 Likes

Their final tweet was a sizzling sweet burn.

3 Likes

I think Blevin is going to discover he isn’t Trump and even if he were Trump, Trump’s ratings are falling as more and more people are finding the act threadbare and tiresome.

1 Like

Living in Kentucky it has been my observation that “short on actual facts” is the default for the majority of the populace.

4 Likes

Wow.

4 Likes

Can’t wait to find out how high that petard can be hoisted.

Classy response, Pro Publica. Keep up the good work. And who has Bevins in the next Republican Governor to face ethical and/or criminal violations pool? I think you’re sitting pretty. I mean, I know mobsters who break knees that are less thuggish and predatory than this guy.

5 Likes

Sounds like ProPublica ‘chose well’ in selecting the CJournal as one of their 14 investigative organizations, while the folks in the Bluegrass state ‘chose poorly.’

5 Likes

The ‘Bluegrass State’ includes Louisville. The ‘Golden Triangle’ of Lexington; Louisville and Covington are the economic centers of the state.

Louisville and Lexington both host several universities and colleges, which reflects a strong Democratic/Progressive presence. The Northern part of the state is heavily influenced by right-wing Cincinnati.

The Eastern part of the state is a wasteland of misery whose source is the defacto slavery imposed by the coal/oil Industry. Between the poisoned water and the company towns, it’s lucky those people are able to walk upright and speak without grunting.

Corruption runs rampant throughout the Commonwealth. The ProPublica thing might just be the best thing to happen in a long time.

6 Likes

Public pension systems have been investing in hedge funds for quite a while. They are seeking higher yields than conventional investments are capable of generating. This is (in part) due to basic greed but also in part due to an attempt to reduce the unfunded liabilities in the pension systems.

I was dismayed when I learned that my pension system was investing with vulture capitalists. There was little I could do, though, except to vote for Board members who were as concerned about that as I am.

Kentucky’s public pension systems are in pretty dire straits, so Bevin has three reasons to be pushing for more money in hedge funds: there is basic greed, the desire to improve returns so that the state doesn’t have to put as much money in; and, wanting to help out his vulture buddies.

2 Likes

Everything you stated might be true, if we also completely ignored the fact that the Legislative retirement system is managed completely differently and is excellent financial health.

2 Likes

Things that are true is certainly a subset of things that may be true.

I don’t know the particulars in Kentucky. Here in Ohio, legislators may choose to contribute to OPERS (the Public Employee Retirement System), the same system that covers state employees. In my experience, it is unusual for a state to have a separate pension entity and funding formula for the legislature. That explains why the Kentucky public pension systems are in such a mess. That sort of arrangement is just begging the legislators to underfund public pensions while taking care of themselves.

Y’all need to fix that. Merge their private system into your PERS.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available