Discussion: After Inspiring Obamacare, Mitt Romney Is Pitching In On Its Replacement

1 Like

Where’s that windsock picture?

10 Likes

This should be interesting. Have they shown him what they’ve got so far? Or is it too manifold to be seen yet? :smile: And have they told Stable McGeniusface about the idea? He’s famously open to accepting help from rich, successful detractors.

19 Likes

I think this calls for another intimate discussion date …

13 Likes

Oh, Bullcrap. Of course he’s in consultation. There’s no intention of producing something usable, and they know their garbage wouldn’t pass the house. But they’re going to keep up the charade as long as they can.

9 Likes

Like the NAFTA replacement, replacement ObamaCare will look exactly like ObamaCare but will have a different name. Trump will run naked through the rose garden touting it as a genuine advance. The press will applaud loudly.

10 Likes

Romney had been missing the spotlight, so he’s found a window to get back in there, mainly on TV where he’s oh so telegenic.

Romney’s pitch will go something like this: take the ACA/Obamacare and rename it Trumpcare, keeping all of Obamacare’s features. Then share credit with Trump for maintaining health insurance for millions. All before the next election. Trump’s supporters won’t see that it’s the same because they are not getting their news from real journalists on Fox. So, there you have it.

4 Likes

OK, I’m just now getting back to reality after being laid up last week. What is this all about? I’m thoroughly confused. Why is everyone acting like a replacement plan would or could make it through the House? What am I missing? Thanks in advance.

8 Likes

After years of running away from his implementation, as Massachusetts governor, of a health care overhaul that helped inspire Obamacare

1 Like

“After inspiring Obamacare?” I am really fed up with this narrative that it was Romney who was the driving force behind the MA universal health care plan. He was not. The MA plan was a legislative initiative that Romney decided to support because in his words “I want a seat at the table”. At that point in his governorship he was averaging 1 veto override by the legislature per week on average and had over 200 veto overrides in his one term as Governor. He knew at that point of his term that the legislature was willing and able to override any Romney veto and were doing so with overwhelming support of MA voters. BTW he literally ran for Potus in 2008 rather than another term as Governor because he did not have a snowballs chance in hell of being reelected

20 Likes

Let’s see - that term paper’s due at 100 pm today. Guess I’d better start working on it.

6 Likes

They’re counting on whatever gobble-de-gook they send won’t pass …

That way they can twist it around and blame Dems —

5 Likes

I think someone there realized that if the court does strike down the ACA they’d better have the “Simply Renaming It ‘Trumpcare’ Act of 2019” ready to go.

8 Likes

Mitt please go home, live off your questionably acquired wealth and quit trying to pass laws that will funk even more folks over than you already have.

2 Likes

They don’t want a bill. They want tiny fragments that they can leak to friendly reporters or blather about while campaigning.

8 Likes

That’s egregious, I agree.

TPM’s headline-writers ought to be ashamed of themselves.

3 Likes

Welcome back, Plucky!

4 Likes

That’s the ticket! Let’s just repeal the name “Obamacare” and otherwise leave it alone!

6 Likes

The GOP plan for healthcare:
Keep Obamacare.
Embrace Obamacare.
Improve Obamacare.
Rename Obamacare.

5 Likes

Except they have already gutted aspects (in hhs, I think) that compromise the program, so they would have to add-back some of what they have gutted.

Even if Romney had Binders-full-of-plans the hardliners in the Senate would never go along with trying to put the parts of humpty dumprty - that they enabled breaking - back together again.

2 Likes