Discussion: AFT: 13 Weapons Recovered After Oregon Shooting, All Purchased Legally

Discussion for article #241331

All 13 guns purchased legally - Sheriff, do you wish to amend your testimony that expanded background checks are useless in preventing such shootings? What if the number of weapons purchased were to raise a flag during the background check for the last few purchases?

18 Likes

…and that makes all the deaths okely-dokely…
Heaven forbid they died because of illegal ( or gun show/online) purchases!

5 Likes

There was an armed vet with a concealed gun on campus. He explains why he kept it concealed:

Parker explained that his military training provided him with the skills to “go into danger,” but said he felt lucky he and others didn’t try to get involved going after Mercer.

“Luckily we made the choice not to get involved,” he explained. “We were quite a distance away from the building where this was happening. And we could have opened ourselves up to be potential targets ourselves, and not knowing where SWAT was, their response time, they wouldn’t know who we were. And if we had our guns ready to shoot, they could think that we were bad guys.”

18 Likes

The article says that only 7 of the 13 guns have been traced so far. Why does the hed claim all 13 were purchased legally?

1 Like

The important question here is: were any of the poor, defenseless and inanimate guns hurt in the incident?

3 Likes

All guns used in crime were once purchased legally.

3 Likes

We should all be grateful he only had two hands.

2 Likes

Koncealed karry koward permits do not make a person into a little deputy. When this putz had a chance to be a big hero he weaseled.

2 Likes

This is where we are in the United States today. Any lunatic has a free, unfettered pass to stockpile as many weapons as he wants in order to commit mayhem. He’ll probably be dead after he commits the deed, but by then, it’s too late.
But let’s not do anything about this. After all, the Second Amendment is the only portion of the Bill of Rights that can’t be touched.

8 Likes

Will that sheriff even mention his own name? Probably. He’s already running for re-election. But his being elected sheriff does not speak well of his county’s voters.

1 Like

Other sources are reporting that they were purchased legally from a “federal arms dealer”.

I know nothing about guns. Does anyone know what a “federal arms dealer” is? Is it a private business? Are they licensed and regulated? WTF?

Makes all the sense in the world. The good guy with a gun could get his ass shot by the assailant or the police or another good guy with a gun. If you hear shooting in a building and you rush to the scene with your gun, how are other good guys with guns to know you aren’t the original shooter? And how are you to know that they aren’t the original shooter? There’s no way to tell, and it would likely result in a bunch more innocent people getting caught in the crossfire.

16 Likes

I don’t think the number of guns purchased would be considered all that unusual if he were a competitive sport shooter.

I assume they mean federally-licensed, which means they have to do a background check. Problem is this guy, like all of these shooters wasn’t a convicted felon nor had been adjudged a threat to himself or others due to mental illness (a very high bar, even assuming these idiots seek treatment, which they usually don’t). So he passed. Or a family member bought the guns and gave them to him/left them where he could find them.

2 Likes

Think it’s time for NRA to change their favorite slogan. Instead of, “If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns,” it should be, “If guns aren’t outlawed, only legal gun owners will go on a murderous rampage.”

7 Likes

Expanded background checks serve no purpose.

In cases like since the guy usually didn’t have a record he can purchase any gun he wants… and he only needs one.

What is need to be done is to actually ban of all handguns and semi-automatic rifles and shotguns. Cops shout be given revolvers during the time it takes to get most of the guns out of the street, after that they should go unarmed as they do in the UK.

3 Likes

Yeah, I have a problem with that. I see what the Sheriff is doing here, not giving the shooter the glory he wanted. However, having said that, I think that knowing the guy’s name is a basic part of the story and of the news. The horror is already done and it wasn’t done by some vague, character drawing. The killings were done by a real person with a real background and identity.

5 Likes

Once again pushing a policy that wouldn’t have prevented this from occurring. If they were purchased legally it means there were background checks conducted.

What does the amount of weapons purchased have to do with anything? Unless you can show a link between the amount of weapons someone has the the likelyhood they are going to commit mass murder?

Maj Hasan when he committed his terrorist attack, I mean case of workplace violence, at Fort Hood, how many guns did he use?

Meanwhile, 10 year military vet, Chris Mintz, ran straight for the shooting without having any weapons and put himself in a doorway between the gunman and other students, hoping to keep the gunman from getting in. He was shot 7 times. Thankfully, he’s alive

And now some lady on MSNBC is talking about how everyone should have guns, how had someone in that classroom had a gun, this wouldn’t have happened, how if Chris Mintz had had a gun, this wouldn’t have happened. I guess this idiot doesn’t realize there were people with guns on campus and they did nothing. I guess she doesn’t realize her state is a concealed-carry state and had this young man - a man trained in the proper use of guns - wanted a weapon, he would have had one. I guess she doesn’t realize he made the choice to not have a weapon and still acted bravely, while those with weapons on campus chose to hide. I’m pretty sure this woman has no idea just how fucking tone deaf she appeared on national television.

7 Likes