Discussion: A Tale Of Two McKinney Cops, From A Former Police Officer

Discussion for article #237278

4 Likes

I have a colleague who insists that there’s no racism in the way police deal with young black people. Looking at the way Casebolt - and the other officers to some extent - are treating these children, and the way they’re ignoring the white people in the exact same place, I find it hard to believe that anyone could continue to believe that.

Why did Casebolt draw his gun? Why didn’t the other two stay on the scene just in case?

And why the hell didn’t that white guy punt Casebolt’s balls to the moon?

19 Likes

One of the things I am interested in knowing is who the big white guy with the shorts and beige shirt is… he sure seems to be ubiquitous.

19 Likes

And that’s why the officer that can’t control himself and doesn’t know how (or is incapable of knowing how) to deal with a crowd should be fired. He has no business being a police officer, much less having the right to use deadly force. That guy is a disaster waiting to happen.

39 Likes

Fired immediately. Police officers first and foremost are suppose to deescalate tensions and emotions not contribute to the chaotic environment. Obviously these kids were not threatening since the first police officer was have no problem with talking to them as a group.

This clown was going around looking for anyone to give him a reason to do what he did and of all the people he chooses a 14 year old girl, coward.

42 Likes

Police get to keep their unions but teachers can’t= today’s GOP. I’m quite sure GOP politicians want to keep the police and fire depts voting for them. Hypocritical asswipes.

27 Likes

Dear Officer Krupke, Krup You!

4 Likes

It seems to me that one of the first responsibilities an officer should have upon arriving on the scene is to determine what’s actually happening. I’m reminded of the case of the man shot in a Wal Mart for having pulled a toy gun off the shelf. The video afterward proved that the one person most responsible for the man’s death was the guy who called in a completely false 911 call.

To assume that the black kids in the neighborhood don’t belong there was absolutely nothing BUT racism rearing it’s ugly head. We still have miles to go.

31 Likes

Excellent article. Great points about the different approaches to policing. I’m curious about the training that Casebolt received and if he availed himself of the “guardian” approach to policing? If he did receive training and then decided to ignore it or it didn’t take?

25 Likes

Thanks for this. When I watched this video yesterday, I noticed that the first cop seemed to be totally in control and then things went haywire when the other cop took charge. But then I forgot all about it because I got so upset watching that horrible man kneeling on the girl crying for her mother. (Had to actually stop the video at that point. It still makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about it.)

7 Likes

I don’t make a habit of studying reports of parties gone haywire, but for understandable reasons I was interested when Sarah Palin’s family was in the news last year after a party was busted by police. I listened to a number of accounts of police interviewing witnesses, and it’s striking me now that the officers in that case all were acting pretty much like the Guardian model this author describes. (Of course, that may have something to do with Palin’s celebrity or their fear of her making trouble for them if she felt disrespected, granted.) They listened patiently to a lot of cursing, dealt with drunks who apparently were still not in control of themselves yet, and did their best to keep things calm.

What a contrast to this guy, who seems to be starring in some kind of action film in his own mind. He seems to be trying to scare everyone around him into cowering submission.

I don’t interact with police very often and I try to avoid being face to face with a guy who routinely carries a gun he’s authorized to shoot in many circumstances. But I would hope, if I were ever at a pool party in a Texas town, that no cop that came on the scene would feel it necessary to try to humiliate and injure me while I was in my bathing suit in front of my peers and then draw a gun on people understandably afraid for my safety.

You’d better believe those kids learned a lasting lesson about extreme police behavior, and whether it was all about race or not, I’m sure they will not be inclined to think of the police as guardians of their safety - or even of their rights!

52 Likes

I remember this song and the musical very well. It all seems so innocent now.

everyone keeps asking this question no jornalist seems curious, I find that curious! who is that guy why is he free to roam about un supervised? protecting cops???not kids!!!

8 Likes

Certainly unions deserve some contempt here.

Casebolt is a trainer in the McKinney PD. Scary thought.

19 Likes

There was another shooting where a boy (twelve years old I think) was shot repeatedly by police who pulled up, got out of their car, and started shooting. They had been informed that there was a gunman on the loose and shot at the very first (black) person they saw.

I think it’s time to prosecute people who make false 911 calls which result in a death with at minimum manslaughter and any police officer who opens fire without getting a full picture of what the situation is before opening fire should, at minimum, face demotion and retraining.

8 Likes

Many thanks for this. I now have a simple description with great imagery when I’m discussing this with folks.

7 Likes

His name was Tamir Rice. In that case the 911 caller told the dispatcher the gun was probably fake but that wasn’t relayed to the officers who pulled up shooting.

6 Likes

Oh good lord! It’s no small bit of irony that Casebolt’s yelling about the kids non-compliance is due in part to police behavior such as his.

7 Likes

I don’t see where the other officers did anything wrong. I see this Casebolt doing all the “wrong”.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available