Discussion: 6 Cities Competing For 2016 Democratic Convention

Discussion for article #223648

Phoenix? In August or September? You got to be kidding.

4 Likes

Phoenix makes the most sense strategically.

1 Like

Why not Chicago? Never mind the gunfire.

Phoenix or Ohio - either is good strategically.

2 Likes

The AP wrote this? It’s so fucking clunky.

3 Likes

Arizonans would say “But it’s dry heat and it’s cooler at night”, so from a weather standpoint and as a former New Yorker. I think New York makes more sense as it will be in the mid 80s in August. But I can’t figure out what that mob scene represents.

This is a bit disheartening.
I’m actually in KCMO and would love to have the Rethuglicans spend their money in my area.
But I think they’re going to pick Cleveland. And that would make it difficult for us Democrats to pick Columbus (or Cleveland).
Same state D/R conventions aren’t THAT rare ('32 - Chicago; '44 - Chicago; '48 - Philadelphia; and '72 - Miami Beach) - but still …
Time will tell - and I’m rooting for an Ohio Dem convention.

1 Like

But do you want to hold a convention in a city and state where
open-carry, concealed carry, and crazy ranting are the order of the day?

That was my first thought.

1 Like

National political conventions tend to drum up local support.
Therefore, they should be held in swing states, where such momentum could do the party some good.
Ergo: Columbus or Cleveland.

3 Likes

My preference would be Columbus whose metro area is rapidly becoming the jewel of Ohio. Much more to the area these days than its former nickname, “cowtown”. BTW, I reside in the Columbus metro area.

To me the choice is as obvious as Paul Ryan’s Big-Honker…that would be the BIG APPLE, New York IS Hillary’s kind of town.

Birmingham??? Let me say it again with feeling BIRMINGHAM???
Now that would be something to see

1 Like