Discussion: 2016 GOPers React To Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia's Death

Discussion for article #245979

Predictable. The ultimate sore losers.

2 Likes

President Trump is hoping to nominate Judge Judy.

2 Likes

The next President must nominate a justice…

Um, no, Marco. The current President gets to nominate a Justice.

10 Likes

Fuck the GOPers. This is how thinking America is reacting

6 Likes
Cruz: "We owe it to him, & the Nation, for the Senate to ensure that the next President names his replacement."

A little civics lesson for you, Cruz. The president nominates Supreme Court justices. We have a president. The president we have was elected to a term that ends on January 20, 2017.

“Next president,” my ass. This is the same crap they tried to pull when in 2010 they said that lame-duck senators (who had been elected to terms ending January 3, 2011) should not get to vote on important stuff.

3 Likes

This will be messy. Government shutdown messy.

2 Likes

Sure hope Obama is ready to play hardball like he’s never played it before. This is going to be some political savagery. Obama needs four GOP senators to approve the next pick (with unanimity on the Dem side). Biden as tiebreaker.

5 Likes

I wonder if the compromise is that Obama has to make a Pope-pick—get some geezer who is likely to die in the next few years.

Judge Judy is his second choice, the first being $arah $nowmachine.

1 Like

And he needs the Republican leadership to hold hearings. The odds of this congress confirming a nomination are next to nothing, unless he picks a highly conservative justice. This leads to the most likely outcome being delay, delay, delay, with congress and the president shouting at each other, and the presidential contest turning the noise up. The turnout will be huge, and hopefully President Clinton/Sanders brings in an era of progressive change. But it will be fucking messy.

1 Like

Hard for me to game this out in any way that doesn’t have people at each other’s throats. The next year is going to be ugly, I’m afraid.

Another wonderful gift from Scalia.

2 Likes

Justice Scalia was a brilliant defender of the rule of law.

That’s surprisingly easy to do when you’re making the law up as you go.

2 Likes

Friggin’ running for President with not one ioda of how it works constitutionally —

Perfect for their base –

1 Like

I cannot stand Will Saletan, but I will always be grateful he put this in print: http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/human_nature/2006/01/hypocritic_oath.single.html

Can’t wait to hear Ted free associate this evening…And small-fingered Don…Cousin JEB…Dr. Crazy and

Gov. Kasich…

My hunch is that he’ll nominate Joe Lieberman or Rahm Emmanuel, but maybe he’ll choose more wisely.

Good grief.

Mitch McConnell now: “This vacancy should not be filled until we have a new President.”

Good Grief! So immediately they talk about nomination time line. It seems sure an under statement but they have no class. Can we at least read an obituary prepared by the family first.