Dick’s Sporting Goods CEO Ed Stack Mulling Independent Bid

Ed Stack, CEO of Dick’s Sporting Goods and longtime Republican donor, is weighing a third-party presidential bid.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1257515

What exactly does he think he’s going to get from doing this? More customers for his stores? What is with these people that don’t have a chance in hell of getting elected?
Mad at Rethugs? Put more of your money towards the Dems.

6 Likes

My gut tells me we will be devolving back into the same election process we had in the 1850’s. With scores of people splitting votes and EC results. Like in 1856, where Buchanan won the popular vote by one of the largest margins historically, yet would have lost had a few thousand votes switched in a couple of states. Yes, similar to Trump winning in 16. Only it will be more radical unless we do away with the EC system.

Some say it will be a good thing, but history says otherwise. If we rid ourselves of the EC process, it may steady things out over time, but there may be other unintended consequences not yet imagined.
Where is Gus Hall when you need him.

2 Likes

maybe he’s semi-concerned about the country as only a repulsivan can be and he wants to peel votes away from Donnie Moscow in a few key states.

6 Likes

Ed Stack, CEO of Dick’s Sporting Goods and longtime Republican donor, is weighing a third-party presidential bid.

I like what the Russians have done with his hair.

1 Like

It’s in the nature of democracy.

There are other systems.

3 Likes

CEO’s are so full of themselves.

19 Likes

I believe Josh has said it previously and it bears repeating that with the numbers the way they are now (and likely to get lower the closer we get to 2020), Trump can’t win unless there is a third-party candidate and most likely he’ll need two of them running if Trump hopes to squeak by.

This won’t be the end of stories like this…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

13 Likes

This comment was made possible by the owners of Citizens United

9 Likes

Even third-party candidates running on the Right could potentially help get Trump re-elected, so if that’s Ed Stack’s goal I guess this would be a good move for him.

1 Like

Its a good way of tanking your store’s sales.

Trumpistaners will boycott because he’s running against the Dear Leader.

Democrats will boycott because he’s increasing the chance of Trump getting reelected.

Never-Trumpers will get that warm and fuzzy feeling of voting their preference even as they throw their vote away on a third-party candidate…but they’ll still boycott because of the “no-assault weapon” sale ban.

If I was a Dick’s Sporting Good investor, I’d make it clear to Ed Stack he can be CEO or he can run for President, but not both.

13 Likes

I’ve been reading about the time of Lincoln when political parties seemed to come and go in short periods of time.
I wish we weren’t down to the big two especially now that one is totally corrupt, but maybe it will go the way Whigs and another new more ethical party will emerge.

3 Likes

From a recent filing:

As of February 2, 2019, Mr. Edward W. Stack, our Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, and his relatives controlled a majority of the combined voting power of our common stock and Class B common stock and would control the outcome of a vote on any corporate transaction or other matter submitted to our stockholders for approval. The interests of Mr. Stack and his relatives may differ from the interests of our other stockholders and they may take actions with which our other stockholders disagree.

4 Likes

If you look at his behavior the past two years, it becomes obvious he could easily strip the anti-gun votes away from the democrats. You know the group of suburban mothers who normally vote GOP and gave dems a landslide victory in 2018.

In essence, he would put Trump over the top in many purple states.

4 Likes

Taking votes from Trump will help the Democratic nominee, who will work to pass gun control laws.
Simple, really.

1 Like

Trump’s base and gun Nutz R Us will never leave trump. All this DB does is give never Trumper Republicans, light red Suburban mothers, and young anti-gun voters a second choice.

3 Likes

His plan, maybe, but you have to wonder why he does not put the money into Senate races instead.

3 Likes

That would be an honest plan, so not his most valued choice.

1 Like

Lord, save me from the rich people. I am sorry, but no more Presidents that never held elective office.

15 Likes

We’d still need to exempt having been Governor of Florida or Texas.

5 Likes