DHS Warns Of ‘Emboldened’ Far-right Extremists Post-Capitol Insurrection | Talking Points Memo

In a national counter-terrorism bulletin, the Department of Homeland Security warned that the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol could lead to ongoing violent attacks.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1357064

That is why they have to make an example of the few perpetrators that got arrested, and stop making excuses for them being a veteran or a stupid 22 year old white girl or an idiotic shaman. Throw the book on all of them .

46 Likes

”The Biden administration has emphasized in its first week that addressing the threat of far-right extremism will be a priority, though the fact that the extremist movement in question is closely tied up with the last President leaves many counterterrorism experts confounded about the best approach.”

You know, I’m beginning to rethink that whole ”Close Gitmo” thingy…

(Maybe John Yoo has an opinion.)

42 Likes

On a MUCH more positive note, the kids are at it again :rofl::rofl::rofl:

10 Likes

That’s exactly what they’re doing.

12 Likes

This is especially true if those at the top of the GOP who supported this remain unpunished. Appropriate punishment must be at least removal from office

16 Likes

My brother and sister Vets have no reason to join anything Trump.
Trump apparently backed the bounty on our troops.
Trump mocked POWs, Gold Star families and more.
If they are like me, Vietnam Vet, remember he stood behind us, 10,000 miles behind us.
Also WW1 dead are losers and suckers.

20 Likes

Some guys just didn’t get the memo…

12 Likes

Except it’s probably not kids. I expect the SEC will have some fun with this one, total manipulation of the stock market, someone is getting a huge payday here.

Some schadenfreude for the hedge funds bleeding out, of course, but the folks holding the bag at the end of the day will be average naive folks, sadly.

4 Likes

Talk about closing the barn door after the horse has escaped.

9 Likes

Expulsion of a member from Congress requires a 2/3 vote. The mechanism is there, but unless more info comes out about direct involvement – something as bad as opening a door to let the rioters in, or giving them a map to Pelosi’s office – the Republicans aren’t going to toss out one of their own. Dems don’t have enough votes to do it by themselves.

11 Likes

Emboldened are they? I doubt that. The few who still think they are tough will fold like cheap lawn chairs once they realize how hard the hammer is coming down on them.

9 Likes

They were both at the meeting the night before.

25 Likes

“Wall Street Bets” (WSB) is wild bunch. More about this:

3 Likes

Maybe the answer for the GOP is restoring the vote to felons?

6 Likes

Amen… without justice, it will be rinse and repeat ad infinitum…

2 Likes

You mean the military wing of the Republican Party?

4 Likes

The DHS bulletin TPM didn’t think to actually link to in the article.

Which, y’know, kinda a no-brainer, @TPM

6 Likes

Glad to see the Senate Republicans recognize how important it is at this time that we have strong leadership at DHS. I’m sure they wouldn’t think of trying to cripple the agency with political grandstanding.

17 Likes

Emboldened Extremists? Definitely.

But its the Embedded Extremists we have to ferret out ASAP.

Lets start with the Supreme Court.

7 Likes