Desantis Takes School Mask War To New Level As Pandemic Rages | Talking Points Memo

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things.

The Florida Department of Education has begun withholding the salaries of the school board members in Alachua and Broward Counties who voted to establish mask mandates in defiance of Gov. Ron DeSantis’ (R) ban.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1386288

Too bad you can’t arrest people for being raging assholes.

26 Likes

DeSantis is losing the public opinion battle. This is my local area, deep red Trump country. https://www.winknews.com/2021/08/30/lee-county-schools-enact-mask-mandate-with-no-opt-out/

36 Likes

Charge the motherfucker with mass murder. Ship him - and abbott, and tater, and the rest of them - to the Hague.

17 Likes
  • The Biden administration has pledged to pay those school officials’ salaries through federal COVID-19 relief funds if Florida made good on its threat to withhold the funds.

Sadly, unless there is something that takes some federal money out of Florida’s pocket somewhere else, I fear this is an outcome Desantis will celebrate.

21 Likes

Think of all the West Virginians that could be employed guarding those prisons </snark>

2 Likes

DeSantis’s megalomania is akin to that of TFG.

16 Likes

Just saw John Bolton on Bloomberg, talking about the withdrawal. He said it was handled poorly because of T***'s deal with the Taliban. "

34 Likes

When do the actions of Republican politicians (governors from Texas, Florida, Mississippi, to name only the few first, followed by the House and Senate Republicans) resemble and turn into manslaughter? Seriously. To avoid taking action for political reasons is planing the deaths of citizens. So is “accidentally” following or leading a policy against all expert opinion that leads to unnecessary fatalities as a consequence of those actions and their implementation. These politicians are NOT trained in the requisite areas and should not be generally prescribing medical treatments or policy. I realize the legal burden of proof is such that these efforts could (would) easily fail, but the optics would be useful as would the signal that ordinary people will not stand for such actions. Is life really that cheap to Republicans? They fight to eliminate abortion rights, but once you are born, if it isn’t with a silver spoon in your mouth (or at least you think it’s there), you’re on your own. As long as you vote Republican? What has the Republican Party morphed into? It continues to find new lows on a daily basis.

Once hospitals required masks by all patients and medical staff near the start of the pandemic, the number of documented cases (not word of mouth) of covid transmission during a visit or hospital stay dropped to effectively zero. Surgical staffs have worn masks routinely since the 1920’s, and they seem capable of communicating throughout their surgical procedures. So let’s stop the nonsense, follow best practice (and yes, recommendations will/should change as new data and evidence dictates) and collectively deal with this pandemic.

I hope we all want intelligent and trained individuals who are experts in the field to lead the way, not quacks who recommend bleach or horse drugs (and Senator Rand Paul is careful to not say to use ivermectin but merely that it should be tested and available - I personally find the word-smithing distinction horrific, but the press gives it oxygen).

I do not understand how anyone who has lived through the past four years can remain a member of the Republican Party. Too many “moderates” don’t know what to do and are silent. Have you heard any of them speak out? Silence is complicity. Perhaps some view covid as a way to distract or change the narrative away from the January 6th insurrection investigative efforts that are currently underway?

33 Likes

“Silence is complicity”

"Of the powers, the only vote that matters.
Silence means security. Silence means approval "

REM
“Begin the Begin”

9 Likes

Yes, ship them all to another country that has been somewhat better than Belgium at not getting killed by coronavirus.

4 Likes

The Republicans have already labeled the insurrectionists as “political prisoners”.
The Republican rot extends across the whole political and social spectrum.

12 Likes

So Peters had to destroy election integrity in order to save election integrity. Hm, I’ll need to ruminate on that one.

17 Likes

We are in a very, very bad place and whether we extricate ourselves from it will be touch and go.

45 Likes

Rumi said, I paraphrase,

“silence is the surest sign your dead”

4 Likes

NOw that IS news.

5 Likes

Let’s face it, Putin won.

7 Likes

I didn’t realize Canada experienced the dog days of summer.

7 Likes

Crackhead Mike still hiding Tina Peters in a “safe house”???

5 Likes

I don’t see how the Santa Monica guy’s actions are legal. Seems like a clear threat.

26 Likes