Dems Leap To Respond To SCOTUS Decision On DQ—Even If It Won’t Go Anywhere In This House

I think they can walk and chew gum at the same time.

And wasn’t someone complaining on another thread that not legislation has been written to deal with the Jan 6 issues and all trump illegal acts which he undertook because in the past it was just a given that the president was ethical.

4 Likes

Can’t say I’ve thought that since I voted in my first Presidential election (1972). But the not accepting a loss and disrupting the peaceful transition . . . well that is way beyond ethics, honor or integrity.

1 Like

Wow. I could retire early if I received a dollar every time someone in this thread used that same tired cliché.

Welp, just take back the House and keep the Senate, then when their session begins next year write a nice little law that says anyone who is charged by a grand jury with obstructing congress from acting on any mandatory constitutional duties counts as an insurrectionist for the purposes of the 14th amendment until they are acquitted or charges are dropped. If Trump is waiting for his term to start, boy would that really stick it to him, right?

2 Likes

I challenge you to come up with three alternative phrases for criticism of zero-sum thinking.

1 Like

I need the knowledge of an historian here. I thought the 14th Amendment was written to keep former Confederates from serving in the US Congress ( a FEDERAL office). Am I wrong?
Were each and every one of those insurrectionists tried in a court of law and adjudged ineligible to run for office? Or was the 14th Amendment meant to be a broad ban on anyone who subscribed to the confederate cause from serving?
Section 3 does specifically say "no person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress
WTH are the Supremes talking about?

3 Likes

For sure. And I just don’t get why some people here complain no matter what Dems do. If they try and do what they can to attack this situation people complain it’s a waste of time. And if they sit back and say well not much we can do to attack this, they complain about that, too. I’m glad that Dems in both houses are doing the things that they CAN do to fight these situations. That’s why they were elected. To do the work.

2 Likes

This.

Thank you for posting this. Dems are doing what they can and we should be happy that they are. If you haven’t ever been in a government position there is no way you can understand just exactly what the job is.

6 Likes

Perhaps the worst aspect of the SCOTUS decision is that it basically overrode the plain meaning of 14-a-3. 14-a-3 doesn’t give Congress any right to make a determination on disqualification. It has only the express right to override a disqualification decision by 2/3rds vote. That move was intentional to make the trier of fact be a court of law and to limit the role of politics and partisanship in the process. If Congress had wanted to give itself the power to determine disqualification it would have said so explicitly. Now, this court says Congress has to enact standards here. That contradicts the plain meaning of 14-a-3. It’s all f’ed up and I won’t be surprised by any decision in the immunity case because clearly politics are at play. Even a decision in Jack Smith’s favor would have to be read from a political angle to understand it. You can’t rely on consistent or intellectually honest legal analysis.

8 Likes

WHEN the NEW Democratic majority House takes office in Jan. 2025, the first Bill Speaker Jeffries takes up should be to declare Trump as an insurrectionist and disqualified from taking an Oath for any federal office, including the Presidency. They should then refuse to count any Trump electors.

The poorly written SCOTUS opinion released yesterday gives them the agency to do so and the resulting law would be enough to block Trump from the office, regardless of the results from the EC.

This allow would allow Hakeem Jeffries to become the 47th POTUS at which he would do a great job.

Chief Roberts, your marching orders are clear. Thanks for your moronic opinion.

3 Likes

As Rep. Raskin has noted ( on NPR this morning ), evidently the Constitution is now irrelevant, and only laws passed by Congress are. So yippee!! Now

• Arnold Schwartzenegger is eligible to run for President! So is Victor Orban!
  • Ditto young “Baron” Trump. Howza bout that? “President Baron”?
  • Any incarcerated felon or other who has been stripped of the right to vote is now also eligible for the Presidency! Charles Manson? That guy that shot up Las Vegas? The Kenosha kid who got his mommy to drive him across state lines to the Black Lives demonstration?

And that’s just the few phrases about qualifications for the Presidency. Everything else is game. Maybe we can somehow use this to dump … the Electoral College? (sure, I can dream)

But Israel aid is wrong, wrong, wrong. It’s a draw.

You sure are obsessed by “masturbation.” Just sayin’ …

This still sounds like an ex post facto law. Which the Constitution prohibits.

But wait! If there are not specific Congress-passed LAWS that forbid ex post facto, the Constitution is irrelevant!! Right, Scotus?

It goes well beyond “US Senator or US Representative”:

Section 3

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.

1 Like

Where’s the discharge petition for Ukraine aid?

Where’s the Ukraine aid discharge petition?

Where is the EU and USA in rendering Russia’s foreign assets to Ukraine to enable them to buy $300B in armaments to defend themselves ? Fire the God damn lawyers who are holding this up and just give the seized Russian assets to President Zelenski and his brave military team.

Sell Zelenski as many AH-64 Apaches and Predators as he can buy armed with multiple Hellfires and let them go for long-range drone decapitation raids against Putin.

I’m curious. I don’t actually know, maybe you do. When was the last time a discharged petition worked? When it did, how did it work? What were this procedural steps going into it? What was the reporting about what Congress was doing before it happened? How much public debate was there about it? This is your argument, feel free to win it. Now you know how.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available