Dems Aim To Move Voting Rights Bill Forward Next Week As Reconciliation Takes Center Stage

While reconciliation, the debt ceiling and a looming government shutdown suck all the oxygen out of the Senate chamber, a small group of Democrats continues trying to forge a path for their voting rights bill to become law. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1388482
1 Like

Don’t just “aim”.

Aim and fire.

13 Likes

It will be interesting to see how today’s reported results on the Arizona “audit” will change any of this debate.

Well surprising but not shocking, I will wait for TPM’s take before commenting further as it seems to be an example of rats jumping out of a sinking ship.

7 Likes

Yes, but they need to be fully loaded before firing can have the desired effect.

2 Likes

There is not enough attention on questioning designed to evoke Manchin’s desire–assuming their is–for carve-outs or talking filibusters.

To say “filibuster” without any mention of type is lame, to say the least

6 Likes

The base finding, of course, is that Biden won and Trump lost. But the rest of the report is padded out with other “findings” about purported problems with the AZ election system.

It will interesting to see which of these secondary “findings” survive inspection by actual election experts.

17 Likes

Someone yesterday said what I’ve been saying, “What does Joe Manchin want?”. And damnit Joe what are Republicans telling you?
Manchin seems to be really invested in the talking to Republicans, that people can change their minds. And his example is the people back home in WV. Well Joe if you haven’t noticed this before the people back home in WV are having to kowtow to donors, or take if they don’t vote the way their donors want will not get re-elected.
And all the while we wait for Joe to some how over come the Republican machine while those of us blue dots in red states are hanging on here by our finger tips.
Sinema must be worse, because I never hear about her trying to talk Republicans around to her yet unknow position on all kinds legislation.

13 Likes

Sinema is a hanger-on; if Manchin flips, she will go along quietly. I do hope our editor is correct and that she will be leaving the Senate when her term ends. She’s useless.

12 Likes

Remember, this is still Arizona. Good luck finding any.

3 Likes

bingo

6 Likes

I don’t think even Manchin knows what he wants. Impossible to negotiate with a person like that.

2 Likes

Maybe Manchin and Sinema want a public statement from Schumer in the well of the Capitol, that the caucus has taken their positions into account and has drastically reduced the size and scope of the bill.
So record it, and they can run it back home. Meanwhile, change nothing about the actual bill.

6 Likes

I cannot believe that Manchin is really serious about getting 10 Republicans to support any Democratic bill, although it’s clear that he feels some comradeship with them as they all receive campaign funding from the same fossil fuels and drug industries. All of which is to say that when he fails to deliver these 10 Republicans, he will merely change his story on what reservations he has against voting for the proposed bills.

3 Likes

66% of AZ Dems won’t vote for her again.

6 Likes

The best part is written last:

Call it a power grab if you must, but from a West Virginian’s perspective, it looks more like hanging on for dear life.

1 Like

Op/Ed by a super conservative in WaPo:

Opinion | Our constitutional crisis is already here - The Washington Post

1 Like

Same thing I heard the other day, except that Manchin doesn’t seem to recognize the dire situation we as a country are facing over many issues.
What good is having a multitude of people in one’s party, but those people have opposing views of how to govern, what personal freedoms means, and the like. We don’t have years to debate the hard stuff, and we are running out of time on some issues. Don’t get me started on how has Manchin’s way stopped Republicans from doing the extreme thing, or has he brought any Republicans over to vote on Democratic proposed legislation.

This is not me yelling at you, but you are the messenger.

2 Likes

Worse than useless: counterproductive and annoying as hell.

2 Likes

He wants to stay in power and get richer.

But the Libertarian over at Politico says everything is gonna’ be OK?!?!

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available