Dem Sen Tells Buttigieg That Reconciliation Likely Needed For Infrastructure Package | Talking Points Memo

Sen. Ben Cardin (D-MD), who serves on the committee overseeing transportation policy, was caught on a “hot mic” on Monday telling Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg that reconciliation will likely need to be used in order for Democrats to pass their infrastructure plans.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1365008

Republicans will only “meet with you to a point.”

That point being the size of the tax cut necessary to fully fund the infrastructure plan.

16 Likes

Usually, that point is at the end of a blade.

Shanked in your back.

After dragging you for years, pretending to negotiate in “good-faith”, before denying you a single vote.

(See “ObamaCare”.)

37 Likes

This reads like a gaffe. It shouldn’t be. It’s a fair assessment based on history. The narrative should be, prove me wrong, GQP, but not by walking onto the White House with a bad faith offer a third the size of the President’s request.

28 Likes

Telling him what to expect is not a bad thing. The Republicans have the option of proving him wrong. Anybody wanna make a bet on that?

6 Likes

23 Likes

Yeah, cut tax revenues so you can have enough funds to make major infrastructure improvements. Makes perfect sense, . . . if you are part of the GOP Idiocracy. Sort of like bombing Vietnam for peace.

4 Likes

IT was always the common wisdom that this was boing to be the case.

8 Likes

OT—but good news.

NEW: Biden has now sent his 3 nominees for the USPS board of governors to the Senate. If confirmed, Democrats would have a majority on the board-- enough to remove Louis DeJoy as postmaster general.

— Brian Tyler Cohen (@briantylercohen) March 15, 2021
37 Likes

I would award them bonus points for making it a public removal with DeJoy wearing a gimp suit.

8 Likes

Yep, this was the quiet part that doesn’t need to be kept quiet.

Let the GQP know Joe and Kamala aren’t gonna take any shit getting things done.

15 Likes

Does USPS have forklifts?

5 Likes

However, can only use reconciliation for one more shot this year (fuck the Senate and their fucking rules), so if you use it on this, better stuff in all the other candy you want.

13 Likes

Sorry, I don’t think the Senate can name you emperor for life, even under reconciliation.

5 Likes

I’m sure they do but won’t be needed. Plenty of Postal Workers will be happy to dump him in a bin, haul him out of town and dump on the side of the road.

4 Likes

I think it should be obvious by now that reconciliation will be necessary to pass any bill through the Senate until such a time as the Democrats hold 60 Senate seats. Anyone who hasn’t figured that out by now must have spent the last 25 years in a cave on Mars.

3 Likes

Cross posted:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-15/biden-eyes-first-major-tax-hike-since-1993-in-next-economic-plan

9 Likes

Well yes, yes they do. But DeNoJoy may have to go through some sort of sorting process before he can be delivered.

7 Likes

12 Likes

8 Likes