Dem Leader Says Anti-Abortion Democrats Are Welcome In The Party

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD) said on Wednesday that anti-abortion Democrats can “absolutely” still be included in the pro-choice party.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1249637

Actually they are not nor should they be. Just like pro choice Republicans are not welcome in their party. Are you listening Dan Lipinskl?

4 Likes

I don’t see why not. If you can’t accept that you’re not going to agree with everyone on everything all the time, then you probably didn’t learn any of the other things you were supposed to learn in kindergarten either.

Moreover, it’s just strategically stupid. Why would you get rid of a potential ally on M4A, gun control, poverty or other things just because you disagree on one other thing? Purity testing = failure.

10 Likes

It’s Anti-Choice, not Anti-Abortion.

9 Likes

Abortion is the law of the land, get over it…
It’s not pro choice it’s forced birth call it what it is

12 Likes

Maybe we should welcome overt racists too as long as they agree on background checks and climate change

11 Likes

We know there are differences between Democrats and Republicans. We’re just saying we’d like there not to be…

1 Like

Which is essentially saying that people who view women as second-class citizens who don’t have the right to control their own bodies and healthcare are “welcome” in the party.

Hoyer should resign.

8 Likes

I’m 100% pro-choice, but thanks for illustrating the purists’ favorite trick: pretending that disagreeing with them means you agree fully with the opposite.

4 Likes

They want to force a woman to carry a child, What is it that you don’t get…

5 Likes

How is welcoming them into the party not expressing that you agree with their stances?

3 Likes

Not an apt analogy, but not a surprise that you went there.

Also, one can be anti-abortion without actually pushing legislation to try to change the law to take away choice.

3 Likes

Because the idea that 300-some-odd idiots in Congress and however-many-million idiots all over the country all believe exactly the same things is fucking nonsense.

3 Likes

Lipinski is not only anti abortion, he voted against the ACA and the DREAM Act, and for allowing discrimination against LBGTQ folks and drug testing for unemployment benefits. The DCCC lined up for him last time, as the the Illinois Democratic Party and he won by only 2 points. Things have changed since then; I’ll be sending a few buck her way.

9 Likes

The idea that you can hate them and discard them over one thing, even if there were endless other things you agree with them on.

1 Like

Yep proven fact if the vote is between a republican and a republican lite the republican always wins

3 Likes

Look I am a woman and if it is your desire to force me to carry a child against my will you can go to hell and yea I will hate them and discard them over one thing,

12 Likes

What part of “I am 100% pro-choice” did you not understand? Is it the part where you don’t get to tell me I’m not pro-choice just because I won’t discard people who I disagree with on that issue but who agree with me on other issues?

The enemy of my enemy? Guess what…gun violence is our enemy, lack of insurance is our enemy, poverty, starvation and childhood malnutrition are our enemies, white nationalism is our enemy…the list is endless and we’re NEVER winning ANY battles with a tiny army of purists.

2 Likes

Why do I suspect you are a man???

5 Likes

Sorry, my bodily autonomy is not up for debate. Anytime. Anywhere. And anyone who thinks it is can go take a hike.

9 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available