De Blasio Drops Out Of 2020 Race: ‘It’s Clearly Not My Time’

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio dropped out of the 2020 presidential race Friday morning, saying on MSNBC that “it’s clearly not my time.”

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1249768

Bill,
I start a new consulting gig on the 7th, can you please fix the goddamn 6 line by then…

Cheers,

A

6 Likes

Did anyone notice he was running?

11 Likes

Nailed it.

14 Likes

Good decision. Keep running NYC and don’t forget to not allow tRump back in the city again.

12 Likes

Isn’t the MTA under the authority of the governor?

2 Likes

Listening to Republicans much?

It’s “Democratic” Party, Bill.

12 Likes

yeah, but its not as funny that way…

And Bill spent a great deal of effort to pass the buck up to Albany…

2 Likes

Also clearly not the best spokesperson on energizing the vote.

1 Like

Good point. :laughing:

Thanks for dropping out AND promising to enthusiastically support the eventual Nominee (saw him on Morning Joe) .

2 Likes

You’re like the Army when it comes to criticizing Democrats, aren’t you? You do more before 9 a.m. than most people do all day. :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Not now, not ever.

Totally off topic, but since I can’t comment on the editor’s blog, and I am bursting, I just watched all of Josh’s clips from the Giuliani interview on CNN, and that is maybe the closest thing to a complete mental breakdown I have ever witnessed on television. It was evil, shocking, venal and pathetic - all at the same time.

10 Likes

Well, it irks me when Democrats call the Democratic Party the “Democrat Party.” The “Democrat Party” is the pejorative name that right wingers like Hannity and Limbaugh use for our party.

We should not adopt their language.

5 Likes

I guess that surging wave of “Bla-mentum!” just never really caught on.

Christ, you’re the mayor of one of the greatest cities in the history of the world. Just go home and enjoy doing your fuckling job and try not to turn into an asshole like Rudy Giuliantics.

7 Likes

You know you’re not the best of candidates when you get more publicity for dropping out than for anything you said or did while running.

But I’m sure there’ll be some nice consolation prizes for him backstage while the winners move on to the next round.

4 Likes

It couldn’t be just a slip? It’s not like they say “the poopy-heads party” and he said the same thing, or anything. I’ve never even understood why they thought it was annoying they said “Democrat” anyway. Just makes them sound like jerks IMHO.

3 Likes

I watched him this morning and I thought he handled himself with grace…and I’m definitely not a fan. I don’t think he ‘bashed’ Biden. He just believes the party should go further to the Left with more enthusiasm. Oh and those that go crazy about the ‘Democrat party’ need to get over it. MANY Dems say that and we have bigger fish to fry.

1 Like

Nope it’s a state public authority with members appointed by the mayor and governor.
NYC control of the subways and buses is an emerging issue in the 2021 mayoral race.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available