Day Five Of Impeachment Trial Opens With Decision Over Witnesses | Talking Points Memo

The fifth day of former President Trump’s impeachment trial will open this morning with the question of witnesses and new evidence.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1360019
2 Likes

Sounds like Qevin McCarthy needs to man up and testify about his January 6th phone call with T****.

21 Likes

I wonder if anyone will mention that Schoen has quit the Trump team and left it to the ambulance chaser and the guy with advanced dementia?

20 Likes

we therefore lack jurisdiction.

Funny that’s not how I remember the vote going.

17 Likes

“If senators choose not to call witnesses,”

Decisions,decisions,decisions.I guess they(Senators) never thought especially the GOP would be called out again,.

2 Likes

“Some people just like being evil”

Lee Papa
Rude Pundit

6 Likes

Yertle just announced that he’s going to (wait for it) vote to acquit.

Surprising, right?

17 Likes

McConnell says he’ll vote to acquit.
Imagine that!

6 Likes

Indeed. I had placed in him my complete trust.

12 Likes
6 Likes

10 Likes

Still an asshole to the very end.

17 Likes

I don’t think he’s gone, and he never planned to appear on saturdays: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/12/us/politics/trump-impeachment-lawyers.html

as Mr. Schoen briefly told the team he was quitting over a debate about how to use the video clips the defense showed on Friday. Mr. Trump called Mr. Schoen and he agreed to rejoin the team

9 Likes

McConnell says it was a “close call” but says impeachment is “primarily a tool of removal” and the Senate lacks jurisdiction . He says criminal conduct by a president in office can be prosecuted when the president is out of office pic.twitter.com/JGMTjCp2OL

— Burgess Everett (@burgessev) February 13, 2021

It looks from reading this that McConnell is recommending criminal charges beginning next week.

32 Likes

McConnell says it’s not within their powers.
So Trump is not guilty on a “technicality”.
It’s going to get worse I fear.

8 Likes

McTurtle is also saying that criminal prosecution is OK by him. This is a political position, as he has no control over DoJ, but he may be signalling that he won’t raise a political stink over the Garland DoJ going after trump and his cabal (this part is important).

19 Likes

Mitch is signalling that he has no spine, no ethics, no morals, and no love for his country.

26 Likes

Signaling? Never ever include that phrase when speculating on McConnell’s motives.

5 Likes

Who among us is surprised that the Treasonous leader of the Senate GQP McConnell will vote to acquit?

5 Likes

Yeah, we knew that. :grinning:

He has been in discussions with Melanoma’s fashion guru over a jacket design.

4 Likes