Cuomo: ‘Worst Is Over’ If NY Is ‘Smart’ | Talking Points Memo

On the day the death toll from coronavirus in New York passed 10,000, Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) said Monday that “the worst is over” in the Empire State, but only on the condition that “we continue to be smart going forward.”

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1303435

On the day the death toll from coronavirus in New York passed 10,000, Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) said Monday that “the worst is over”

That is all Trump heard, or will quote, when he announces he’s lifting mitigation efforts.

3 Likes

I wish he took a bit more care with that statement, it would be better to say that the peak is passing but NY needs to continue to do the right things in order to bring the disease under control, and they aren’t there yet. It’s not a Trumpian statement, that’s for sure, and it is good to tell people that conditions are starting to improve, but after the peak there’s still likely a need for another month of shutdown to really stop the spread, and that time only increases if people start going out and not being careful.

4 Likes

December 2020: “We’re still plateauing. We’re still flattening the curve. We’re still seing good results from social distancing. We’re still at peak and declining soon.”

1 Like

This is a mistake and he needs to seriously retune his message.

2 Likes

Cuomo called the staggering death toll a “horrific level of pain and grief and sorrow.”

But have you seen Trump’s ratings?

They’re higher than The Bachelor finale!

7 Likes

The number of new cases is moving in the right direction. Normally, there’s about 20,000 new cases by this time of the day. Right now, we’re at 13,838 with 6 1/2 hours to go before the WM site ends their daily count.

New Cases

4/6 - Mon 30,331

4/7 33,331

4/8 34,592

4/9 - 33,536

4/10 33,752

4/11 30,003

4/12 27,421

2 Likes

COVID may retune it for him. We have seen what happens in other countries.

4 Likes

Living here in the metro NJ/NY area been familiar with Cuomo long before the Corvid 19 put him in the spotlight.

Qouting drriddle “I wish he took a bit more care with that statement,” TOUCHE !

People been couped up for weeks now and some have got the beginning of that $600 stimulus money.
As drriddle said"I wish he took a bit more care with that statement,"

Perhaps Cuomo wants to provoke Trump into an in- depth discussion about the way forward and trounce him, further showing everyone that he, Cuomo, is in charge and usurping once and for all anything Trump says on the subject ever again.

Slightly off topic but I wonder what’s going to happen to all the ventilators that went to NYC? I realize that Cuomo shipped some off to somewhere, but it got me thinking if every state that got hit early, and is now peaked or is peaking has no need for as many ventilators, then which state will be the tagged the “it” state?
And the way that Trump is running this shit show I wouldn’t think it would be prudent for governors to say “hey let’s return this cleaned up ventilators to the national stockpile”. I wonder if the Governors will get together and decide to create regional stockpiles, especially for the 2nd wave?

2 Likes

That list of states in cooperation (at least in the eastern parts of NY and PA), with, say Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Vermont added, would make a nice tidy country all by themselves. Why don’t we try it?

2 Likes

I watched the entire news conference this morning. That is exactly what he did say.

@pine @sniffit @emiliano4

6 Likes

He did say the Peak was over, he also pointed out that NY is on a plateau so there’s more work to do.

He made it clear that this won’t be over for 18 months (when a vaccine will be - presumably - available)

He also said that NY had to stay Strong and repeated the Stay Home, Stay Strong, Save Lives mantra.

2 Likes

Would be nice if we got NE as well

3 Likes

They sent out an email invitation, but it got bogged down in corn a couple miles across the border and then some pigs ate it.

3 Likes

He returned a bunch to my neighborhood yesterday himself. Did you know he drives a vintage GTO with the license plate reading “1”?

2 Likes

The worst is not over:

7 Likes

I listened to Cuomo’s whole press briefing.

He didn’t sugarcoat anything. Nor did he give false hope or aspirations.

@26degreesrising

6 Likes

Have some faith. What could possibly go wrong?

2 Likes