Cuccinelli Edits Lazarus Poem To Justify ‘Public Charge’ Rule

Give me your tired, your poor … but not too poor.

Acting head of Citizenship and Immigration Services Ken Cuccinelli on Tuesday made a tweak to Emma Lazarus’ famous poem etched onto the Statue of Liberty while rationalizing the Trump administration’s new “public charge” rule, which could restrict green cards to low-income legal immigrants who use public benefits.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1242269
1 Like

As the Evangelicals look down from their mansions

https://biblehub.com/matthew/25-40.htm

“And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’

18 Likes

It’s obvious this maladministration only wants draft-dodging immigrants who have been declared persona non grata in their home countries who come here to run whorehouses.

19 Likes

Looming US immigration crackdown aims to weed out pre-crime of poverty.

8 Likes

Ken added Give us your brown shirts. We will need them for the youth corps.

7 Likes

““certainly not prepared to take anything down off the Statue of Liberty.””

Someone should though.

““The poem that you’re referring to was added later (and) is not actually part of the original Statue of Liberty,””

Oh, I see…so we’re back to originalism now? Amendments don’t count neither?

15 Likes

Speaking of Lazarus … a lot of people are saying he was only raised from the dead because he still owed outstanding medical bills.

21 Likes

The final stage in ignominity is becoming a verb. Cooch seems to have reached this point, as in “GOPers can cooch anything,” or “Cooch cooched the pooch on this one.”

3 Likes

trumpRapeUSA

2 Likes

I fucking hate these Orwellian assholes.

14 Likes

Evangelicals tweak the Bible all the time to make it say whatever they want, so what else is new?

6 Likes

What a collection of slugs.

My wife’s grandmother wetbacked the Atlantic from la belle France after WW I. Her parents sent her over to ‘visit’ her uncle. She stayed a lifetime. My great3(?)grandparents on my grandmother’s side fled the Irish potato famine in the late 1840s and ended up homesteading in Texas.

Nobody asked them if they were able to support themselves. Nobody asked my 13-generations ago grandfather and mother if they could support themselves when they landed in Massachusetts. It was assumed that as able-bodied adults they would be able to do that, and they did. Why are we asking any more of current would-be immigrants than to work hard and join our society?

Yeah, that means some of them are going to get government assistance from time to time. I got government assistance (in the forms of a graduate fellowship, graduate assistantships, and a subsidized loan).

I just don’t get it.

24 Likes

This Pez dispenser needs to be reminded, along with all the other deplorables, that there was a Homestead Act which gave millions of acres of federal land to settlers. Perhaps we should discuss deporting the descendants of anyone accepting this handout.

20 Likes

Well, there is also becoming a time-unit, as in, “How many Scaramucci’s will this acting appointee last?”

4 Likes

The poem was written, and placed there, in order to pay for the assembly of the Statue, as native Americans weren’t getting it done. It was part of a campaign by Joseph Pulitzer of The New York World to build the base the statue sits upon.

Immigrants. They get the job done.

13 Likes

And we don’t want to hear shit about “huddled masses tearing to breathe free.” Unless they’re wealthy and white. Or Saudi or UAE royalty.

3 Likes

Oooh I see Chump is moving on the Bronze Lady like a beeotch…and if you pan down you can see he is grabbing some metallic crotch.

1 Like

Just when you think that Trump can’t possibly find a bigger asshole to head some government agency.

10 Likes

The combination of bigotry and cruelty they display daily just makes my heart ache.

4 Likes

Not taking anything down, just adding a few bits.

Like cages.

And barbed wire.

And guard towers.

3 Likes