County That Bought Into Lindell’s Dominion Conspiracy Theories Will Replace Machines With Hand-Count - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Doesnt this presume, perhaps too optimistically, that folks in Shasta can count?

3 Likes

“Lindell was a major instigator in the right-wing war against Dominion Voting Systems; he’s also the subject of a $1.3 billion defamation lawsuit…"

I hope Shasta County wasn’t counting on Lindell’s promise to cover any cost incurred in ditching Dominion…

9 Likes

In a homogeneous population as inbred as this one the idea of smarter goobers is not meaningful, the range from ‘top’ to ‘bottom’ being statistically meaningless.

1 Like

And if the people hand counting the ballots do not obtain the desired results… will they be charged with some sort of crimes? Or just taken out into the forest & shot?

9 Likes

Hand counts are a good check on machine counts. But conversely, machine counts are a good check on hand counts. I would be worried about hand counts from this county.

10 Likes

Well, good luck with that hand count. The last New Mexico election had something like 50 ballot questions, from candidate races, judicial retention, constitutional and charter amendments, and bond issues.

In a sane world, that county would do one (1) election this way, and then quietly recant.

2 Likes

I dump on headline writers pretty often, but every once in a while …

21 Likes

From the article:

hand-count the ballots by the end of the day

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

And that’s if the ballot has one race with two candidates.

Wait until they get a primary ballot with 12 races and 6 candidates each.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

AND hand counting will give about a million places to fsck up the count or cheat,

AND AND every single losing candidate will have grounds to sue in every election.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Then wait until they find out how much it will cost.

23 Likes

More followers for the Pied Piper of Stupid.

2 Likes

Yeah, old Ben was a shameless libertine. Even his son was embarrassed by his … antics. But he was really big in France.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, they have a piece of Lassen. Fortunately that’s a national park.

2 Likes

Jefferson, but you’re on the right path

1 Like

Shasta County is around 182,000 people. Say half vote so around roughly 90,000 voters. Hire 50 people to count. That would be 1,800 ballots per counter. Or the county could buy used tally machines from the Maricopa County Cyber Ninja fiasco. And save a ton of time and money.

4 Likes

What lawsuits? There are established procedures for doing hand counts, with safeguards such as multiple parties counting each group of ballots, witnesses present from the political parties, spot audits. So long as they faithfully follow procedures there’s nothing to sue over, though of course the Kerri Lakes of the world will sue regardless. But they would sue in a machine count district too. What shasta wants to avoid is a tight local race where to still be counting votes thanksgiving week is not a good look.

4 Likes

It occurs to me to wonder: does the state of California permit them to do that? I believe Virginia law mandates what methods a county can use to tally ballots; and I think at this point, it mandates hand-marked ballots that are then read by optical scanners. There’s also some sort of allowance made for voters with a disability that does not allow using that method. But I don’t think any Virginia locality could decide to forego all electronic ballot processing.

1 Like

Yes, so long as the needs of disabled voters are still met. The article goes into that a bit.

2 Likes

AZ has always used paper ballots. And we have certified tally machines to do the counting. Plus bstches of ballots are hand counted to check the machine accuracy.
No fraud involved. The entire process from receipt of ballots from precincts to the run thru the machines to the hand counts is on a set of video cams so anyone anywhere can get bored c silly watching this process. Mrs darr had a temp job in our county electiobs dept and said to me she saw zero fraud and it was her job to look for it.

3 Likes

OT Just in from BwaHaHaHaHa

Among other things, a “declaration of restrictive covenants” spells out that the district is barred from using the Disney name without the corporation’s approval or “fanciful characters such as Mickey Mouse.”

That declaration is valid until “21 years after the death of the last survivor of the descendants of King Charles III, king of England,” according to the document.

The development agreement bars the board from regulating the height of buildings, which would be solely under the purview of the Federal Aviation Administration.

ETA

Fr_31YWXgAEVrud

23 Likes

Oh, OK. I’m not sure that would fly in Virginia, but maybe if the county were small enough that a cost-benefit analysis would show that mechanized processing would be a total waste, the state would let them go ahead with it.

1 Like

May need to change the acronym to “It’s Only OK if Republicans Do It”. Turnabout for handcuffing the Dem governors in every state they lose. Don’t mess with the mouse.

1 Like