County GOPs Across Georgia Drift Further To The Right In The Post-Trump Era

Over the weekend, a spate of county Republican parties in Georgia showed their devotion to former President Donald Trump by punishing officials deemed insufficiently loyal to him. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1370307
1 Like

With any luck, this is simply a further sign of the Republican Party going the way of the Whigs. How long did the “Know-Nothings” last?

12 Likes

After some of the biggest county parties — Cobb, DeKalb, Fulton and Gwinnett —elected hardcore pro-Trump officials to leadership roles, Fulton took it a step further and denied delegate spots to such dependable Republicans as former Rep. Karen Handel (R-GA) and Trump’s own former Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price. They were denied the slots ostensibly because they weren’t at the meeting, per the AJC.

reminder

oh well

6 Likes

Knee jerk reactionary moves cannot be good, but it’s all they have. Heavy on the jerk.

11 Likes

Well, don’t ask them.

10 Likes

A little further right, naggers. See how that works out for ya.

2 Likes

16 yrs.

7 Likes

If you want to swing Georgia counties that voted over 80% for Trump, Kemp and support racist anti-democratic laws to stop people from voting I have a few suggestions.

First is to boycott Vidalia onions. On the Vidalia onion act of 1986, to be sold as a Vidalia onion it must be grown in one of 20 counties in Georgia all of which voted 80% or more for Trump in 2020 and Kemp in 2018.

Second is to boycott Georgia peaches. Again, the counties that grow Georgia peaches voted almost 80% or Kemp and Trump. A 10% reduction in either the consumption of Vidalia onions and or Georgia peaches will hit the economics of these racist anti-democratic Georgia voters. Well it is unlikely to change their heart, I bet it will change their brains when their crop and lively hood is rotting in the fields.

Likewise, by other than Tyson or Perdue Chicken. Well headquartered outside of Georgia, 80% of both companies chickens come from 80% Trump and Kemp voters. The same is also true for Planters peanuts. A reduction in demand will hit the racists anti-democrats where it matters most.

I love Georgia peaches but Democracy and equality are more important and this year I will eat Michigan or other states peaches. Likewise with onions.

12 Likes

County GOPs Across Georgia Drift Further To The Right

Flat Earthers approach the Eastern Edge, risk steep fall.

7 Likes

9 Likes

Drift? More of a full-on sprint.

4 Likes

Took me a second, but I think I like that word.

Georgia, that engine of industry. These mooks have been being paid to fail for 200 years. Failing up, like their twisted sons, on the back of the Federal taxpayer.

You won’t see many of the Red states succeed because there is no money in it. If Mississippi was successful maybe black folk would get paid, and then start voting.

There has been little money for the racist elites in the success of red states since emancipation. They are ticks on the underbelly of our country. Without an absolute monopoly over rural radio they would have died 3 generations ago.

Cut them off. They are going to have to start turning a profit or they will have to start looking at becoming their own state again, by themselves, with no help from those in this country that actually act in good faith.

1 Like

We’re still early days here. If Trump goes the way Josh Marshall thinks he will, it will be curious to see where the GOP is a year from now and two years from now.

6 Likes

slightly OT…or is it?

2 Likes

Welcome to the crazification era of state and local political parties. Having had their brains melted by Facebook groups and QAnon videos, crazies who never would have gotten involved in these local bodies are egging one another into action after discovering that there are few barriers to entry. Social media is the new town square, and this is the result.

12 Likes

Our Democracy is structurally a two party system so what would replace this GOP?

Rather than disappear, I think they will move to a less crazy place eventually. Don’t forget this GOP picked up 14 House seats in November.

1 Like

The state GOP in Nevada censured Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske last week for not doing enough to uphold Trump’s lie that the election was stolen.

“My job is to carry out the duties of my office as enacted by the Nevada Legislature, not carry water for the state GOP or put my thumb on the scale of democracy,” she responded in a statement.

Well this won’t go over well. I hope she has an exit plan.

5 Likes

More like the exercise yard in the asylum.

10 Likes

Video of that “drift” has just been released…

11 Likes