County Explains PA Ballot Mistake That Sparked MAGA Freakout

An official in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania explained Friday how nine military ballots ended up in a dumpster, a situation that sparked a Trump-world freakout and widely-criticized press release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1334368
1 Like

Blaming it all on a contractor who has been dismissed and told to never, ever come back? In terms of propaganda, the damage has already been done.

If the contractor was a plant to throw doubt on the validity of an election, he could have been a Republican. If the contractor was a plant to toss Republican ballots, he could have been a Democrat, but surely he wouldn’t be allowed to open the ballots and see for whom the votes were cast and then toss them, would he? This sounds like just a really ignorant fuckup.

26 Likes

EXACTLY.

This is Roger Stone Rat-Fucking 101. If this “Contractor” was doing this, how did they find out?
Was someone going through the trash looking for things?

The sequence of events is telling that this occurred EXACTLY on time for Trump’s Minions to howl about it and get maximum FOX Time out it.

I want to know WHO THIS PERSON IS, and WHO HIRED HIM, and WHICH CONTRACTING FIRM WAS IT?

I’ll bet good money it was either DeJoy’s former company (which has extensive contracts with the USPS) or one of that idiot Project Veritas morons.

28 Likes

Once again.
This is fucking Republican County.

17 Likes

“The press release emphasizes that the Luzerne County employees did not know for which candidate the mishandled ballots were cast until the U.S. Attorney’s Office disclosed it in a bizarre press release on Thursday.”

Do go on…

25 Likes

This has false flag operation written all over it.

Let’s hear more about this “seasonal worker” and their political affiliation, for starters.

31 Likes

I imagine we are in for a whole series of such revelations, each more phony than the last.

Ultimately Trump will declare that since elections are dangerous, from now on all public offices will be for sale, except President, because the bidding on that one just closed and he already bought it.

21 Likes

OK, so “UMOVA ballots are required to be sent out at least 45 days before the election, and Luzerne County sent theirs out on Aug. 25. That special allowance for military voters explains how the ballots could have been mailed out and returned while many counties in Pennsylvania have yet to mail out their ballots to the general public.”

The Green Party candidate was just tossed from the PA ballot on September 17th. I will make the leap the tossed candidate is on these UMOVA ballots?

8 Likes

Why wouldn’t the MAGA-heads assume that the mystery contractor was merely doing Gawd’s work by trashing any obviously illegal “mail-in ballots”? Especially if they came from one of them furrin’ sh**hole countries?

Also, why the automatic assumption that these were votes for Trump, every last one? He’s been making himself less popular with the military, I hear, what with persecuting the captain of the plague ship who was trying to protect his sailors, pardoning war criminals whose own compatriots turned them in, trashing any number of respected military leaders alive and dead, and sneering at the parents of the fallen.

6 Likes

Part of the fun. Can’t claim rigged if a person accidentally just discarded a mix of ballots. Has to be something directly against trump. Seven of them were apparently open, so you could see exactly who was selected.

Which is why I expect that when the individual is eventually identified, their bonafides will be entirely republican, and they did this deliberately to make it look like someone anti-trump was just willy-nilly throwing out votes for him.

17 Likes

This is gonna be a huge problem, this was only 9 ballots and it made national news. The right-wing is gonna make a huge deal out of ANY mistakes and the MSN will amplify those disingenuous complaints and help spin the right-wings narrative. I think there’s gonna be a flood of right-wing ‘activist’ trolls filming all over the place on election day and editing fake/out of context videos of mail in or drop box ballots being ‘tampered’ with to gin up false outrage.

This is just gonna be a thing. Facebook is gonna be a garbage fire of this stuff and our press is too stupid not to fall for these disingenuous right-wing stories just like they did with Shirely Sherrod or the Planned Parenthood videos. It’s gonna be that times 1000.

16 Likes

OT, but this fucking asshole is yet again downplaying it…

14 Likes

The American system of checks and balances is complicated and cumbersome and prone to abuse.

And yet it works. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

MILLIONS of ballots were mishandled! Well, nine.

10 Likes

The contractor’s name is Donald J. Trump, Sr.

Here’s his ID photo from Luzerne County:

13 Likes

Trump will go on claiming they’re finding his votes in dumpsters and rivers and what have you. That it’s debunked doesn’t matter to him or his cult.

9 Likes

STOP FREAKING OUT. That is exactly what Trump wants you to do. Concentrate on the real issues, and the task ahead of us. Don’t play Trump’s game.

17 Likes

Molehill meet mountain.

4 Likes

I think I’m going to go with “inept contractor opens ballots they aren’t supposed to, panics, throws them in the trash so no one notices”…we shouldn’t go down the conspiracy route without some actual evidence of a conspiracy, especially since it would require planting lots of people all over the place to get something like this to happen. I reserve the right to change my opinion if the contractor turns out to have been a plant, but until then I’m just going to consider them a doofus.

The US Attorney’s office press release is the bigger issue, as is Barr’s quick meeting with Trump…there’s obviously a conduit through the DoJ where anything that happens with voting is reported directly to Barr, who then will work with the Trump campaign to twist every minor thing that they can to help Trump and the Republicans sow chaos in the election. That’s far more dangerous than trying to plant someone counting votes, simply because it can feed into making people so disgusted or wary that they won’t bother to vote at all. And that is all on them, they chose the lawless route…that will be the theme going forward, until we can get rid of them.

16 Likes

It’s like the Republicans wake up each morning and ask themselves: “How can we poison the well of public understanding and confidence in our system today?”

17 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available