Cornyn Reacts To Taylor Testimony | Talking Points Memo

Bill Taylor who?

Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX), who sits on the Senate Judiciary Committee, told reporters Wednesday that he has not read Bill Taylor’s explosive 15-page opening statement to Congress, according to the Washington Post. Taylor’s riveting Tuesday testimony recounted texts, phone calls, and meetings supporting the quid pro quo that Trump has repeatedly denied.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1257756

Of course Sen. Cornhole hasn’t read it — Rethugliklans can’t read! They just wait for FAUX Snooze to interpret it for them.

23 Likes

Ostriches. Heads in sand, and knees knocking with fear of what they would see if they looked,

Since the release of the Mueller report, it seems that many repubicans in Congress are intentionally staying uninformed - so that they have an easy dodge when asked questions by reporters or constituents, I think the strategy also indicates that they know its not good. And in some cases, where the indoctrination is Qanon type deep, a belief that nothing true is going to come out because… libtards (or something.)

13 Likes

“It’s completely unfair to House Republicans that can’t participate in the process like they would if it were handled the same way previous impeachment inquiries were handled,” Cornyn said.

Liar.

(I’ve lost count, of course.)

34 Likes

Democrats should petition John Roberts to exclude from the Senate trial phase any Senator that has demonstrated the manifest and pronounced inability to impartially sit in judgment of the accused. Start by citing statements such as Cornyn’s.

20 Likes

He probably doesn’t know Benghazi from Eden either but that didn’t stop him there. Or Emails from the Dead Sea Scrolls but he seemed to get that as well.

17 Likes

So Cornyn is going with the “I don’t know and I don’t care” defense, eh?

Let’s see how that works out for him.

21 Likes

Willful Ignorance is not much of a defense. He pretends to not know that every closed session being run by Schiff, et alia, has Republican participants. Instead he spouts propagandistic nonsense cooked up by the FOX Meme Factory™ and that drunken lady in the WH Comms Dept.

Further proof that what JS Mill said a long time ago applies to the current Republican Senate: “Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.”

29 Likes

“This process, which I am intentionally ignoring and which I know nothing about, is totally unfair, which justifies me in ignoring it and knowing nothing about it.”

18 Likes

Cornyn’s invoking an attempt to be ‘cute’ as a defense is really, really pathetic.

6 Likes

This is no surprise as Repugs have been using the ‘Ignorance is Bliss’ defense since Reagan declared in Iran/Contra, “I didn’t know”.

4 Likes

Hmmm… Did Cornyn vote to confirm Taylor? Casting votes without knowing WTF he’s doing?

ETA: He was certainly in the Senate in 2006 when Taylor was confirmed as Ambassador to Ukraine. I guess he was just doing what he was told to do, without paying much attention.

23 Likes

“It’s completely unfair to House Republicans that can’t participate in the process like they would if it were handled the same way previous impeachment inquiries were handled,” Cornyn said

Pure and unmitigated BS. Handled just like all the other inquiries including Benghazi.

But no one can imagine for a moment that the MSM will report things that way. They’ll run with his quote because it gets eyes and facts get in the way of good narratives.

4 Likes

Cornyn insisted that he’s been spending more time on other issues, such as “doing important things, not participating in a sham process over in the House.”

Do tell, John. What are these ‘important things’ of which you speak? And please be specific.

As a former judge and TX AG, is it John’s position that, if you don’t know the person testifying, their testimony is discounted?

Looks like we’re gonna have to spoon feed Old John. Can someone please hold him down?

21 Likes

6 Likes

AND CORNYN IS MAKING HIS PLAY FOR THE POSITION OF 2ND DUMBEST TEXAN.

Will he take Perry’s coveted place?

5 Likes

In short, Cornyn is uninterested in facts or the law and would absolve Trump regardless of the truth.

8 Likes

Now, now. I’m sure Louie Gohmert’s position is secure.

9 Likes

Um…

“I’ve had people say, ‘Hey, you know, there’s nothing wrong with gays in the military. Look at the Greeks,’” “Well, you know, they did have people come along who they loved that was the same sex and would give them massages before they went into battle. But you know what, it’s a different kind of fighting, it’s a different kind of war and if you’re sitting around getting massages all day ready to go into a big, planned battle, then you’re not going to last very long. It’s guerrilla fighting. You are going to be ultimately vulnerable to terrorism and if that’s what you start doing in the military like the Greeks did … as people have said, ‘Louie, you have got to understand, you don’t even know your history.’ Oh yes I do. I know exactly. It’s not a good idea”:

14 Likes

Sure, that’s why I said second dumbest (Gomer, Goodhair, Cornyn).

3 Likes