Coons: ‘Frustrations’ Among Dems After Sinemanchin Joined GOP’s Opposition To Filibuster Carveout

Well, certainly she had the traditional qualifications—being a rich twit. I withdraw my suggestion, by all means, carry on, “Callista,” if that really is your name. I think it’s more a name for a cat.

ETA it’s one Patrick O’Connell, incumbent since, note the date, January 20, 2021. :smile_cat:

4 Likes

While he’s fixing the filibuster, I hope Sen. Coons will also agree to work on Valentine’s Day from now on. I mean, I understand, he had dinner plans, but it sure would have been nice to at least interview a witness or two during the impeachment trial. It’s important to respond to threats to America in real time, rather than the sclerotic pace of Washington DC, the Senate especially. Now, a year later, the coup is more or less normalized in Republican discourse, you can’t let people off the mat like that just because you reservation is at 7.

Considering the video, the placement of the flight attendant, the 380 flying around said flight attendant, did you fly inside or outside the aircraft?

Demonstrating contrast between the parties doesn’t get it done if the Republicans are allowed to end American democracy. The right to vote is far more important than the filibuster.

1 Like

And he will want to cut taxes for the rich

OMG! And I had no idea that there was one man to be singled out for blame when our democracy inevitably fails!

OoOoO! Is he the first guy you and your fellow counterinsurgency fighters will extra-judicially punish when the Republic falls?

Such take!!! Much hawt!!!

Um…

No more TSA-pre check

No.

(I mean, who could have imagined that an eensy-weensy little coup attempt against the constitutional order, to disrupt the peaceful transfer of power in a democracy, could mean that you’re no longer a trusted traveler?? How unfair is THAT? I mean, it’s not like he was Muslim or something.)

6 Likes

If our democracy fails, I think the failure to pursue Trump’s impeachment for fomenting an insurrection as vigorously as it could have been pursued will loom large as a missed opportunity. I have no desire to extra-judicially punish any one-- my strong preference is for judicial proceedings to run their course, Valentine’s Day or no. I wish Coons felt the same way, but apparently he had a train to catch.

1 Like

Are you referring to the Republicans failure to participate? Because I thought the Dems went at it pretty hard. And are you saying the voting rights failure will have no impact? Glad you have a “strong preference” for judicial proceedings to run their course, but how does that help with anything else? Even if they locked all of them up, including T****, that does nothing for stopping voter suppression, or is that unimportant?

This. What keeps getting lost in the Sinechin thing is that all 50 ReThugs voted against voting rights and the John Lewis bill, including “moderates” like Collins and Murkowski. The filibuster sucks but most people have no idea what it is or how it works.

If you tell them that ReThugs want to take away your right to free and fair elections and the right self-governance - they get that. Repeat as often as the Trumpies say “Stop the Steal” and “2020 Election Fraud” and that’s a good start.

I am much more po’d at Sinema than Manchin. He is a known quantity, he is not saying/doing anything that I don’t expect from him (though this crap-ola about starting BBB ‘from scratch’ is an asshole move) but her? I do not get her.

SHE thinks she is following in the footsteps of John McCain? She was not in his league.

John McCain was able to get DEMS to vote for him; if ‘she’ thinks (even if she switches parties) she will get REPUBLICANS to vote for her she is DELUSIONAL.

It was much worse last month and the month before that.

1 Like

Is this because he ‘usually’ walks into the dining room at Mar-a-Lago to standing applause and those days are gone? PLEASE be gone.

The ‘high’ he gets from adulation is a drug I want him to go into ‘unpleasant’ withdrawal.

3 Likes

He was never the Vatican Ambassador; his wife CALLISTA was.

JOE DONNELLY (former Indiana Senator) is the current ambassador.

JOE DONNELLY was approved (finally) for the position LAST THURSDAY.

Former Senator from Indiana.

1 Like

We’d established all that seven hours before you came along but thanks so much anyway.

Yes, you’re right, the main culprits are Republicans. Some Democrats went hard. Coons, however, was among those Democrats who decided, in the end, that it was better to “look forward not back” and to simply give in to Republican obstruction at impeachment. Infamously, he said he had a Valentine’s date he needed to get to. So no, he doesn’t get credit for fighting in that crucial moment. As for whether impeaching Trump would affect voter suppression: the things are different, but also linked. The GOP is all in on voter suppression because they are committed to holding on power by any means necessary, not least because they are linked to Trump and that’s what he wants. If Trump were in jail, no doubt the GOP would still be gerrymandering and suppressing–because that’s the course they’ve committed themselves to since 2000. But it’s hard to imagine the GOP would be nearly as radical or as corrupt if they didn’t have a would-be dictator lashing them on – a man who, by the way, showed that it’s possible to launch a dictatorial coup, fail, and not be held accountable for it. And yes, I hold the Democrats in the Senate accountable for not pushing hard enough to at least show the public how serious that was. A year on, we’re still just starting to dig for stuff any half-serious questioning of witnesses would have discovered when people we’re still shocked and appalled by January 6. Now it’s all just more partisan noise.

“And none of the 50 Republicans in the Senate joined us.”

There are no moderate Republicans. The myths of Romney, Murkowski and Collins are just that, myths. Every single GQP is all-in on voter suppression and the dismantling of democracy.

You’re welcome!

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available