Conservative Supreme Court Justices Attack Roe Head-On

Judaism actually has a definitive position on this—and it’s not what you might expect:

5 Likes

I grew up Catholic too - nominally since probably about age six when my little feminist dander was gotten up by learning that women weren’t allowed to be priests and I decided that no God worth believing in would stand for that shit. Of course it was a post-Vatican II, social justice kind of Catholicism for the most part, and being well-outnumbered by Baptists and the like made us Catholic kids stick together even as we spun away from the church.

Also, we had the best parties, lol.

4 Likes

The joke when I was younger was that if you didn’t use birth control you were pro-abortion. A joke sadly demonstrated by too many of the Catholic girls at my college.

2 Likes

As best I understand, Judaism is anything but monolithic on this matter. Thank you for the link.

Have a ball with TA. If he’s your cup of tea, have at it. Pour moi, Alice in Wonderland makes more sense.

1 Like

Fascinating how many young kids can be so precocious in their perceptions of falsity and injustice.
Girls seem to have an edge here. You might not yet have the chops to parse, say, the Argument from Design, but your instincts tell you it’s horse shit.

Really? That’s what a Catholic girl thinks of when she finds herself unmarried and pregnant?
You should wite for SNL.

According to a couple of college friends - yes it is. Their concern was about 10% whether they were committing a sin in the eyes of the Church and 90% whether they committing a sin in the eyes God. Whether or not to actually get the abortion wasn’t in doubt at all. I’m a bad person to confide in if you’re looking for religious guidance, but apparently I’m a good listener.

2 Likes

Well, instinct and seeing a bit of some King Kong movie or the like on TV. I couldn’t shake the realization that Mass looked suspiciously like the heathen ceremony where they were going to tip the girl into a volcano.

I anticipate that American Catholicism will go the way of Quebec Catholicism. Quebec was once a very, very Catholic society, right up to my wife’s generation, during which the population just basically “walked away”. During a time when many of the Protestant (read “Anglophone”) population were actually moving out of the province to Anglo Canada (which should have actually increased their majority), the percentage of practicing Catholics plummeted. Folks stopped marrying in the church, stopped baptizing their kids and now, they live together without formal marriage or any form of baptisms at all.

Having lived through this with my own generation of family, I have hope that America can find its way out of its “Religious Iron Lung”. The stranglehold the Religious Right has on so many parts of America is choking, but there is evidence available to us that this doesn’t have to be permanent.

I only hope that my optimism isn’t misplace. If so, I do still have plans for a chain of “Misplaced Americans Refugee Inns” - Great food, great atmosphere and French Lessons for a modest additional fee! :sunglasses:

More:

3 Likes

Not a dime’s worth of difference. I always met women before they were virgins.Never wanted to throw one into a volcano.

Google or look up “iron law of oligarchy”.

I don’t believe any of these numbers. They lied to the poll takers – gave "religious ‘reasons’ " from their Catholic indoctrination. Fact is these young women were stressed with anxiety, fear and shame. For that they have our compassion. I doubt sin was on their minds. Like so many young people, hormones took over and there’s no sin in that – only regret. I have zero contempt for these young women.

Quebecois: “C’est vrait”

American: “vray”

1 Like

nit-picking???

What poll? I’m talking about my personal conversations with other college students. Of course they were stressed - and believing in sin, and to a much lesser extent, wanting to be a “good Catholic”, were surely part of that stress.

1 Like

humma, humma. I assumed it was some kind of poll. Well I’m a monkey’s uncle.

Ah, but this here’s a civil suit, yer honor!

It’s a criminal-civil hybrid that outsources enforcement from the state to vigilante plaintiffs (and the state’s own courts, of course). If Double Jeopardy doesn’t work for you, try Due Process, which very much does prohibit excess and duplicative recoveries.

2 Likes

Due Process definitely works for me. But looks to me like at least five justices are still stuck at “boy, they sure did do a good job of eliminating standing and making this law unreviewable. Whatever shall we do?”

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available