College Board Strips Down African American Studies Course After DeSantis Loudly Rejects It

The College Board should have been obsolete 25 years ago.

4 Likes

Something tells me DeSantis didn’t receive a lot of African American or queer votes. But let’s not bring politics into a conversation about “facts and how to think”.

6 Likes

The whole purpose of education is to teach students critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

10 Likes

The College Board is a sprawling organization. College entrance exams should be obsolete because they are just money mills for the test creators and test prep companies. Entrance exams are also poor instruments of measurement for a student’s college aptitude. So yes, get rid of the College Board exams like the SAT. The AP courses evidence their worth.

7 Likes

26 Likes

Ohio takes the lead in imagining a Red State future for education:

The rightwing version of “parental involvement” in childhood education, taken to its inevitable conclusion:

“We are so deeply invested into making sure that [our] child becomes a wonderful Nazi”…The Lawrences are so enamored of Nazidom that Katja uploaded audio of her own kids performing Nazi salutes to her Telegram channel, and baked a cake to celebrate Hitler’s birthday.

(I’ll bet they made a wish before they blew out the candles.)

@sniffit

21 Likes

Explains so much.

7 Likes

The College Board is a monopoly and a corporation despite its 501©(3) IRS status. Let’s find a competitor for granting AP status. I’m fine with that.

3 Likes

That’s a nutshell definition of an AP course and an apt goal of any educational institution at all levels.

An AP course is an educational hothouse. Never should a student be graded based on their opinion on one issue or any. However, each student should be challenged. Those challenges come swiftly and heavily in an AP course.

2 Likes

This is likely already appropriate to any FL student applying to university outside of FL. It denotes significant holes in their history and science backgrounds plus inadequate critical thinking skills. We can start adding in narrowed access to literature and general knowledge.

6 Likes

THANK YOU! :grin:

One time I stopped to visit my sister and made them late to go gambling, she called the next day and told me she’d won $5000 so she gave me $500 for “making her late and enabling her to win.”

Who am I to argue with logic like that?

11 Likes

I graduated from a huge Catholic high school in 1974, basically a factory, with the exception of the few AP classes taught there.

In my history class, we were expected to read the textbook on our own as background for the real work, which involved primary sources and historiography, a concept unknown to me until then. It was excellent preparation for a liberal arts degree.

Of course, as it was the early ‘70’s, girls could take only 2 AP classes while boys could take 3.

11 Likes

“Queer Theory” too? OH NO! (What the hell is that supposed to be?)

2 Likes

There is IB, the International Baccalaureate. They are a challenger that often coexists with AP. I have taught at those schools. There is often no difference between either of them for academic rigor. Colleges and universities tend to regard each program as a quality preparation regimen.

The trouble with finding a challenger to both AP and IB is that many colleges will be skeptical of granting college credit to an unproven course model. AP is well-established in that realm and it is the reason why so many high school students take the courses: for college credit and an accolade on the high school transcript. Other than IB, there is no competition.

4 Likes

My last high school allowed students to take five AP courses in one semester. That’s insane. So many students developed mental issues from the course overload stress.

5 Likes

Just let him define himself. He’s got no push back from the GOP here in Florida and that’s not because he’s all powerful but that they’re weak and torn over him and Trump. No one tells him no. And Ronnie’s not fooling anyone.

Currently the Florida House and Senate are readying legislation to allow concealed carry without a license or training. Ron will sign it. Add that. In a month another outrage and then another. Ronnie’s campaigning for POTUS in Florida and forgetting there’s 49 other states. DeSantis can forget a national run.

6 Likes

No he doesn’t. He knew exactly what he was doing, which was using FL’s outsized influence over College Board policy due to population and number of schools/students, etc., to force the College Board to kowtow to his white supremacist Christian dominionist neofascist culture war bullshit…just liek TX has traditionally tried to do to force textbook publishers to comply with its desire to do things like remove the phrase “separation of church and state” from textbooks or change 'slave trade" to “North Atlantic triangular trade”.

The College Board LITERALLY just rubber stamped DeSantis’ racist bullshit and gave him and the Zombie Fourth Estate the ability to claim that DeSantis was not only RIGHT about all of it, but that he’s been given the imprimatur of the leading educational testing organization in the country to CONTIONUE DOING IT and DOING IT HARDER. I mean fuck…remove Coates? Bell Hooks? WTFFF?

Besides…look at this group of fucking cowardly douchebags…LOOK. AT. IT…

https://about.collegeboard.org/leadership

NOTICE ANYTHING!?!?!?!?

Someone please research who the fuck they are and why and how they got where they are.

3 Likes

Wink & nudge: He’s just making shit up.

4 Likes

I’m guessing that your school didn’t have the PE coach teaching AP/IB Chem. :grinning:

10 Likes

By the time I was a junior, all my classes were AP or IB. English/lit, Spanish, Calc, Physics, US History, Psych, and Gov.

Thanks for your insight btw.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available