College Board Strips Down African American Studies Course After DeSantis Loudly Rejects It

Authoritarianism and bigotry go together quite well. And, for the 1%-ers, those in the lower income brackets are well served by giving these people an array of targets…

…to keep their minds off of them

21 Likes

Unless you’re a stand-up comedian, is that a skill you really want to improve?

4 Likes

Other Fuck Florida things:

13 Likes

Any African American studies curriculum that removes Ta’Nehisi Coates is no curriculum at all. Period.

23 Likes

Successful authoritarians always identify some “other” for their followers to hate as mindlessly as possible.

25 Likes

Fuck Ron DeSantis!

6 Likes

Someone needs to start filing lawsuits and fighting this shit in court.

10 Likes

Doesn’t the Governor have things to do…like…I don’t know…GOVERNING the state.

Absolutely stupid.

6 Likes

I have said this before, but–notwithstanding the trouble Gillum got himself into–the closeness of the victory that awarded DeSantis the Governorship was a tragic victory for Florida.

10 Likes

If the Governor of Death"s Waiting Room is worried about people getting useless degrees than I would suggest getting rid of degrees in Philosophy

When I taught AP courses, I created my own syllabus, added my own sources, and supplemented materials and tests with those produced and distributed through College Board. My syllabus needed approval from College Board administrators who evaluated my work for academic rigor. Above all, AP courses teach students to think, not what to think. College Board instruments of measurement focused on skills acquired through the contextual application of skills.

DeSantis demonstrates his profound ignorance of how these courses are built, taught, and evaluated. My advice to College Board, should anyone care, is to understand that nothing they do will pass muster with DeSantis. His objections focus on politics, not education.

In Georgia, there is a statute that imposes legal penalties on those who interfere with a student’s educational attainment. It just takes one person to file a complaint to get the legal wheels rolling. I wonder if such a law exists in Florida.

26 Likes

Yes I pointed this out the other day. But it would be interesting to know how many HS, and what percentage of their students take AP classes. Back in the day most of the school districts, at least in the Midwest all used the same textbooks that were used in Texas. And that’s because Texas set the standard for what could be in the textbooks because as a state they were the largest purchaser of school textbooks.

I didn’t take any AP classes, and I don’t remember them being as ubiquitous as they are now. And of course things change, hopefully for the better.

2 Likes

Roe v Wade was reversed. I would not put it past them to make every attempt to reverse Brown v Board, as well.

16 Likes

Obviously a decision made solely for substantive educational reasons and based on solid further research, and not for business or political reasons…

Btw, biographies are not primary sources. They are secondary sources, if that, that, hopefully, use primary sources. Primary sources are official records, journals, letters, photos, drawings, etc., by and of the people being written about. E.g. a letter that Frederick Douglass wrote is a primary source, but a biography of him that cites this letter is not.

13 Likes

Forced strip-downs are what the GOP does to high school athletes, to check to see who has a pee-pee and who has a hoo-hoo.

This whitewashing, which is what they do to black people writ large.

4 Likes

With Clarence leading the charge.

21 Likes

SHAMEFUL!!!

No one should ever try to grovel and be obsequious to a Fascist, no one!

2 Likes

First rule of negotiations, DO NOT NEGOTIATE WITH YOURSELF.

That is De’Santis by flatly rejecting the course has shown no intention of accepting anything. By altering the course to try and satisfy critics who are just against the very principle of the course, is to weaken the position that the course curriculum was objectively derived and give credibility to De’Santis.

13 Likes

I taught AP Language and Composition. As a simple description of the course, it mirrors a year-long course in rhetoric and argumentation. Sections of my courses included gender issues, civil rights, and politics. Each controversial topic is fair game in that course. So, yes, this isn’t a doomsday scenario. At least not yet.

DeSantis is picking a fight over this course because it bends toward historically minority voices. I suspect that if he wins here, he will come after the other courses that have been around for decades and for the descriptors I mention above.

17 Likes

Added to the list.

THE COLLEGE BOARD MUST DIE

I’m not kidding. This is not “fixable.” The College Board just proved that it needs to be 100% destroyed. People should be calling local and state officials and representatives and demanding that they be completely abandoned and boycotted and that we start designing our curricula to outcompete red states to further their dissolution and impoverishment. Mississippi thinks its fine and dandy to have abysmal 50th place schools in its state because the rich white people in the state know they can just send their children out of state to get educations and compete for unemployment. TIME TO SHUT OFF THAT SPIGOT.

Time to start denying red-staters access to our blue state schools as well, because you know as well as I do that the wealthy white privileged set in FL is still going to try to send their kids to Princeton and Harvard and out of state schools while they destroy the in-state schools they view as being for the poor and POC. If nothing else, just make it an extreme and exorbitant state tax that Little Lord Fontelroy’s parents have to pay to the people of MA or wherever, if they want their spoiled conservative trash-brained bigot of a child to attend out schools. Enough is enough. Fuck these people. It’s time to start DOING it…not just SAYING it.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available