College Board Strips Down African American Studies Course After DeSantis Loudly Rejects It

He might find it hard to run in those high heels he wears, just look at the pic.
Another inch and they’d officially be stilts.
Wouldn’t quite call it “drag” but, who knows?
He’s got a thing with boots.

The importance of this point simply cannot be overstated. Imagine, if you will, how the course of World War II would had been different had Germany had fscking flying cockroaches before they invaded Russia.

IMO. it was Coates ‘reparations’ thing the so many people find so awful…otherwise, he is just another guy with an opinion.

1 Like

Gotta say, TEACHERS matter. The AP US history curriculum gives EVERY opportunity to teach the arrival of enslaved people, the establishment of “white identity” and its privilege, the establishment of legalized, permanent, inherited RACIAL enslavement (late 1600s) AND the systemic, institutionalized racism in the long arc to the present.

The AP Curriculum leans strongly toward Social History (the other two parts of the History Trinity are political and economic histories.)

Teachers with at least a BA in history with a US concentration, especially from a good school (one with a strong history department), have the chops to teach this. HIRING matters, and support for continuing education for teachers also matters.

Then, of course, the teacher has to be willing to teach this history.

Oh, and “CRT”? As has been pointed out - CRT is a law school course. A better question to a high school student might be one that asks about “systemic” or “institutionalized” racism in the US, instead of “CRT”. Heck, even decent textbooks now include “redlining” and other systemic crimes against Blacks.

2 Likes

alligators, crocodiles, huge snakes that eat people, bugs the eat your plants…fire ants, termites,and yes,flying roaches that we call water bugs…and immgrants from the NJ, NY and other northern parts. Florida used to be great place to live…now it is wall-to- wall people. ugh!

1 Like

As I understand it, there was no curriculum to “change”, because no curriculum existed until it was issued Feb 1. What existed before was just a bunch of discussion issues. De Santis played this perfectly, attacking something that did not exist, and then getting credit for"changes" that never occurred - credit from the main stream press - and even from TPM! The College Board says the curriculum was not a response to political pressure. I have not seen any evidence that they are lying, just “suspicions”.

1 Like

Ok. Let’s not forget all the technological advances that came out of it. GAYDAR, for instance.

1 Like

I hadn’t even heard of it since I took the SAT over 50 years ago.

Serious question: what practical significance does this cowardly move have?

I taught Coates’s Between the World and Me to college freshmen and sophomores a half-dozen times. It went great. He’s a gifted writer and an exemplary thinker, a great Black writer and just a great humane mind and voice. A beautiful book. “The Case for Reparations” is still, as far as I know, the definitive treatment of that issue.

Avowed white racists such as DeSantis’s supporters are at the bottom of the list of people we need to worry about in this context, but still I can’t help thinking of the harm they do to themselves by rejecting the truth and attacking those who bring them the gift of the truth.

6 Likes

Except in Florida

2 Likes

IANAL but, The right wing is always bitching about the first amendment when they talk about Twitter and Facebook. They are private companies and therefore can do as they wish. When the state of Florida, however, censors education it seems to be more likely a first amendment issue because the government is the censor.

5 Likes

I don’t know. A unit on famous gay African Americans won’t play well in Peroria. It’s just a fact. Why give these clowns like DeSantis an opening? The curriculum could easily include these people and their work without emphasizing or necessarily even mentioning their sexual proclivities. The teachers could decide what’s relevant in that when teaching. And obviously any kid looking someone up on Wikipedia will get the facts 9n this.

How about AP Dominionism? Or AP Goosestepping?

1 Like

Between the World and Me has rightfully received the most attention and acclaim. But Coates’ earlier book, The Beautiful Struggle, is also beautifully written and more of a narrative. It’s essentially the story of his education–in school and outside of it. I used it often when teaching future educators.

3 Likes

Haven’t taught that one but I also admire and like it very much.

1 Like

The angle of his feet in those boots looks like about a 2" lift.

He’s the same height as the ‘heroic’ Tom Cruise… 5’9".

As with Trump impressions, there’s a limited shelf life and audience. Conservatives are not funny, ever.

To which books does the lying sack of DeSantis object? Has he read them? If he hasn’t, he’s an execrable, dishonest, Harvard elitist for making shit up. If he has, he’s an execrable, dishonest, Harvard elitist for trying to prevent everyone else in Florida from learning the truth he knows perfectly well.

I’m not super flexible about the execrable, dishonest, Harvard elitist part.

1 Like

They have the spines of jellyfish.

BTW: If anyone thinks MTG has more intelligence than a bag of rocks, he/she need only look at clip of her questioning a witness about the $Billions spent by one school on CRT.

The Harvard-Law-degreed Governor is a derelict for skipping class if he hasn’t actually read the academic treatises on critical race theory.

I suspect that lying sack of DeSantis knows the truth full well and wants to hoard it for himself. Interviews should be conducted with the objective of finding out what he’s hiding.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available