CNN Anchor Chris Cuomo ‘Aware’ Of Brother’s Scandals: ‘Obviously I Cannot Cover It’

CNN anchor Chris Cuomo, the younger brother of New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D), announced on Monday night that he would not be covering the burgeoning scandals engulfing the governor, who has been accused of sexual misconduct by several women and deliberately underreporting New York’s COVID-19 death counts, due to conflict of interest.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1362765
1 Like

Okay, people. Who broke TPM yesterday?

5 Likes

Might’ve been me…

4 Likes

I’m betting it was @castor_troy

7 Likes

Shhhhhh

6 Likes

Here I am, in the middle of typing ‘he would never…’ when that happens. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Back on topic. I made it a point to watch the opening of Chris Cuomo’s show last night just to see what he would say. He said almost exactly what I had thought and hoped he would say. I mean, really, what else can he say?

6 Likes

Antifa, obviously.

4 Likes

Same-same.

7 Likes

What a good brother! Coupla good fellas right there.

(This comment does not reflect the opinions of TPM staff, CNN staff, or anyone associated with the office of Leticia James or former senator Al Franken, not to mention Senator Gillibrand or AOC. Failure to mention other people whose opinion this opinion does not reflect should not be construed as positing an opinion in said unsaid people.)

3 Likes

Eh, even just by basic standards of journalism, he’d have to acknowledge the conflict of interest and stay away from the story. It’s not one he can cover without lending the appearance of bias, and if CNN’s coverage and his are the same, that gives ammunition to people trying to find fault w/CNN.

So, yeah, Chris Cuomo’s doing the right thing here.

7 Likes

Is it fair to ask whether or how Chris Cuomo should cover other stories related to his sibling? E.g., the Governor’s response to Trump’s early rhetoric on COVID? What about the recent revelations regarding understated death rates in nursing homes? What questions does this raise more generally about the role that relatives of public figures can play in news reporting?

2 Likes

I think it’s a fair question, yeah. I mean, near as I can tell, he’s tried to color inside the lines in the past, but I don’t blame him for saying ‘yeah, there’s no way people don’t read into anything I say here’.

1 Like

A horrible position to be in.

1 Like

The main reason I don’t watch, he does that every night. No insight just telepromter. The Cuomo’s, like the Clinton’s, are a stain on the party politic IMO. We don’t need these cult of personality. We just escaped one.

CNN Anchor Chris Cuomo ‘Aware’ Of Brother’s Scandals: ‘Obviously I Cannot Cover It’

Isn’t covering for his brother what Chris does?

“I have always cared very deeply about these issues and profoundly so”, he said.

It’s either very deeply or profoundly, not both, unless you mean profounder than very deep, or very deeper than profound. And that would be as ridiculous as it sounds.

I guess there’s a reason he’s considered the lightweight of the two.

He’s a professional schmoozer. He was probably trying to covey both how he ‘feels’ about it and what he ‘thinks’ about it. It comes out weird in a single sentence.
I have always cared very deeply about these issues. I have spent many hours in profound thought…blah blah blah…

Actually I thought the journalism standard was to cover a thing and disclose your potential conflict of interest. This happens fairly regularly when a sponsor of a news agency is in the news. I honestly think the better course of action here would be to just play a CNN news update on the topic and acknowledge the potential conflict openly. CNN creates 24/7 content – Surely there is a 2-5 min package floating around in the control room.