Civil Rights Groups File Third Legal Challenge Against New GA Voting Law | Talking Points Memo

Several civil rights groups on Tuesday announced that they have filed a third legal challenge against the new Georgia elections overhaul law.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1367229
2 Likes

Good. Sue the hell out of them.

11 Likes

Is it possible to legally challenge Justice Robert’s definitive legal opinion that we now live in a post-racial country where the Voting Rights Act is no longer warranted? IMHO, there is ample evidence that he cast his vote on whimsical evidence.

17 Likes

Sherrilyn Ifill, the NAACP LDF’s president and director-counsel, said that the law is “perhaps the most bold and shameful voter suppression legislation enacted” in modern history

Ms. Ifill is right.

(She’s also the daughter of immigrants and cousin of the late Gwen Ifill, who used to appear on PBS.)

17 Likes

Georgia is trying hard to become the new Texaflorissippi.

9 Likes

Roberts’s error was evident as soon as he published his opinion, but I’m not quite sure how you tactfully tell the Chief Justice he had his head up his ass.

9 Likes

and on and on and on. Good for them. Even though it seems like the Georgia lege is a bunch of fraudulent scofflaws DO use it against them.

1 Like

Why the fuck bother with tact? Either he knew he had his head up his ass and he gave that opinion anyway, or he’s just plain ol’ stupid, and isn’t qualified to be Chief Justice. He made an egregious error in judgement that has cost this country, dearly. He deserves no tact.

8 Likes

Texaflorissippibama

4 Likes

Yep, hit them with a lawsuit per day, weekends included, until they are forced to repeal their racists rights act.

4 Likes

OkieTexaflorrissipibamalinageorgiaseesaw

3 Likes

So Texasflorissippibamagia?

3 Likes

:raising_hand_man: I have no tact, I’ll do it.

7 Likes

I do not know the basis of Roberts’ racial presumption…oh. yes I do:

The Racism of John Roberts

8 Likes

Additionally, the lawsuit acknowledged that the election results in Georgia were “celebrated not only because of record turnout, but also because of its integrity.” It alludes to judges and Georgia’s own state and local election officials — which include Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp ®, Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger and voting implementation manager Gabe Sperling — refuting then-President Trump’s bogus claims of widespread election fraud.

“The losing presidential candidate and his allies launched an unsubstantiated attack on the integrity of the election and sought to reverse its results, claiming that it was beset by fraud,” the lawsuit reads. “But each of the baseless allegations underlying this attack were rebuked, both by judges in lawsuits and by Georgia’s own state and local election officials.”

OK who on here works for any of these new groups suing? Because this is what I questioned the other day. If they Gov, SoS and others fought Trump on how the election was handled, and then 5 months later claim that these new measure are to insure the integrity of the GA election process. This is talking out of both sides of their mouths type shit.

12 Likes

You go woman!

6 Likes

Bingo! The same people who repeatedly said the election was fair and secure and that Biden was the winner are also claiming that the election wasn’t fair and secure and that’s why these laws are necessary. Which is it?

13 Likes

:100: :clap: :clap:

3 Likes

I believe they are claiming that it’s because folks are not feeling safe and secure with the voting process so they need to provide a pony show for them.

I don’t think this rush of new suppression laws has anything to do with the last election. It has everything to do with controlling future elections. Fair and secure has put them into an uncomfortable situation. If, on the other hand, the weight is placed on the scales in the direction of suppression, they won’t need to defend themselves against charges of fraud because they believe Republicans will never lose again. And yes. They’re full of shit.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available