Civil Rights Groups File Third Legal Challenge Against New GA Voting Law | Talking Points Memo

The “Whatever-They-Can-Get-Away-With” answer reeks of Ante-Bellum/Jim Crow racist behavior which is as pervasive as it is repugnant.

This is a snookering a tad different than some other types (which assume a respect for the mark):

This is crude, insulting and telegraphing disrespect for the victims of the racism itself.

There is no other way to interpret something so in-your-face and so obvious.

7 Likes

The Governor, SoS and election officials are Republicans. It’s what they do.

Blissfully ignoring the fact that those feelings are the result of GOP fearmongering.

9 Likes

I don’t know how this can be worked into a lawsuit, but I’d like to see it appear in a transcript of legal proceeding.

This is crude, insulting and telegraphing disrespect for the victims of the racism itself.

This statement is both true, and with “racism,” recursive.

1 Like

Nah, they’re just tryin’ to get back to how it used to be.

1 Like

And the shit the MFWWNBN was pulling all over the country with lies and lawsuits and intimidation for which the AG of the state of Georgia is investigating his enormous ass.

9 Likes

Reverse that. The dog and pony show led to distrust which is now being used to enact draconian responses.

7 Likes

These laws are only about the last election insofar as these voter suppression measures are meant to avoid losing future elections. However, the fact that the very people claiming more laws are necessary also claimed that the election was fair exposes the fact that these new laws have nothing to do with preventing fraud. It exposes their true motives and intent. I think that’s going to be one of the many issues Republicans are going to have to answer for in court. “People falsely believe a thing happened that didn’t happen, so we have to pass new laws to make them feel better,” probably isn’t going to fly as a defense.

11 Likes

Neither and both and all and none of the above, Katie.

2 Likes

Provide a legal admonishment in the form of recurring lawsuits that rebut his fantasy with every new racist legislative act.

Enter Georgia.*

• to be followed in short order by Florida, Texas, Arizona, Michigan, etc.

Which is it?

Clear as black and white.

Yeah, that too.

1 Like

“People falsely believe a thing happened that didn’t happen, so we have to pass new laws to make them feel better,” probably isn’t going to fly as a defense.

Especially when it’s presented as, “People falsely believe a thing that didn’t happen because we told them it did happen, so we have to pass new laws so we won’t be put in the position of having to lie about it again.”

1 Like

OkietexaflorissippibamalinageorgiaHEEHAW

2 Likes

It’s a joy to see how my ACLU monthly donation is going to work in my own state. Of course, work of this sort in any state satisfies.

It is nothing short of awesome to read how much muscle the plaintiffs have on their side.

Sixth District of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, Georgia Muslim Voter Project, Women Watch Afrika, Latino Community Fund Georgia and Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.

No one can claim that standing has not been established.

6 Likes

Gee and here I thought the Civil War ended 150-odd years ago.

2 Likes

We’ll, I’ll give you that they have certainly been odd… :thinking:

2 Likes

By countering his foolish and dangerous legal misjudgment via an avalanche of lawsuits every time Republicans embrace their racist longings.

Enter Georgia.*

• soon to be followed by Florida, Texas, Arizona, Michigan, and more.

This is true.

However, they are claiming that elections must not only have integrity, they must also be seen to have integrity. By Republicans.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available